1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stardock announces flexible DRM system, Goo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Moriarty

Moriarty Evil Genius

If it works just as you've described it, that sounds pretty smashing.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Who determines the resale value?

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

You do, from my understanding all you have to do to sell it on like any other product is to decouple it from yourself and then sell it with your code.

5. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Nice. I figured they might of thrown in a resale fee that goes to the publisher bypassing the corporate store (which keeps all profits).

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I don't see how it protects the game from piracy though - if you just have to tether the serial number to an e-mail address and can then install it as many times as you like (presumably validating each install through a code or link sent by e-mail?) then people will just create a freebie e-mail address and share that along with the game, won't they? Also, it must phone home occasionally to see if you have decoupled the e-mail address with which a particular install was validated, so it can be deactivated, right?

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

If it works, it's a great idea. Kudos to StarDock for trying to find a 'third way' without screwing themselves or anyone else.

8. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

this is a more flexible version of steam, and I can actually warm up to it. As long as Stardock can keep the benefits of their service (updates, matchmaking, etc) then I think most poeple won't mind this DRM at all. Being able to decouple and give/sell your account is HUGE.

9. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

The publisher or devs should NEVER get any money from second hand software. They've made their sale already. The face that some devs expect more fees or complain is beyond any comprehension.

It's like selling a house and the previous owner expecting some of the money. What reason would there be to give over any more money to them?

What makes it even worse is that they attempt to compare seccond hand games to piracy. They're going crazy with greed. Though I'm describing Epic(fail) really.

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Kudos to Stardock. This sounds like a move in the right direction for non-binding DRM and DRM in general.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

this sounds extremely like Sins of Solar Empire's activation thing since patch 1.15 and Entrenchment.

12. slipkid69

slipkid69 What's a Dremel?

I think this platform would be a great idea, being able to sell on games and use the again under a new account you cant do this with STEAM, and this is exactly a problem with a game I am having, read this.

This is my post, i contacted STEAM support they said cant do this as STEAM rules wont allow it, so I posted this on the forums, read it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378249

Tags: Add Tags