1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 'Starter' Gaming PC Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 10 Nov 2020.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hi all,

So a colleague of mine asked me to build a computer for her son for Christmas, but I am a bit out of touch with hardware - only updating myself in situations like this.

I have put together what I think looks like a build that fits the spec:
    • Fits the $1300 USD max budget.
    • Looks like it will be a good little performer for a few years - nothing supreme, but will play a decent amount of games at some quality of graphics.
    • Has a good amount of upgrade potential (socket will facilitate a better processor, big memory upgradability, graphics card upgradability etc).
    I know you guys are much more nuanced than i when it comes to components interacting, and wondered if there was any advice you could give on the build?

Used pcpartspicker to build it, here is the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Boompigs/saved/C2s4sY

Thanks so much! :)

Bogo

2. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I think the motherboard is overkill and B550 could save $100. The new 5600X would be a drop in swap for either, but is the last generation to fit the AM4 socket (before AM5 in a year or so) so investing in the motherboard for the long term might not reap the best value. Just need to be sure the BIOS is up to date to take the newer chips.

Could spend the saved money on a 5700XT graphics card which is quite a leap.

The fractal design is a quality case but might need an extra fan or two.

That's perhaps a bit me focused though and if it's mainly fortnite and Minecraft the beefier gfx might not have much value.

I don't mean to promote it, but is RGB a priority at all? A lot of the kids these days seem to like it so some sparkly case fans might go some way to appeasing this, if it's the windowed case too.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Move to a 3600, drop to a B550 board, drop to 16GB RAM, swap for a 1TB SSD. This then leaves enough for a 2060 super... Link

Edit: this one squeezes in a 2070 super, although you do lose the HDD

Last edited: 10 Nov 2020
  4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thanks guys, a B550 sounds like the thing to go for so switched in for that - the 3600 or 3600X seem to be much the same in terms of performance so I will look back at the prices and see how different they are before deciding.

You have both suggested a better graphics card, Pete to the point where literally everything is sacrificed for it. Is the graphics card really that big a game changer here? The original is very poor? I find it hard especially with graphics cards as I have never owned one out of the lower-middle range but have also never found a game my computer cant play (albeit with no AA and mid graphics!).

Last edited: 11 Nov 2020
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just think if you can you should. Things like HDD's are fairly low cost and easy to add later, the same with extra RAM, but a GPU is a large cost single item, so it makes sense to dedicate as much money as possible to it now :) It will have the biggest effect on gaming, which in turn means it will far out last any of the lower tier cards.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ok, so taking both of your advise into account how does this look?
    • I replaced the 2060 with the 5700XT as that was a bit cheaper and from performance seemed to be a little better than the 2600.
    • Went for the 3600XT as the 3600 isn't available, and the XT was cheaper, newer and faster than the 3600X.
    • Changed the HDD to 480 GB (but the same model) as that saved $100 and will be plenty for him to be going on with to start.
    • Added a shiny fan and Wi-Fi card (as the motherboard doesn't have a build in Wi-Fi)
    This leaves them a bit of cash for windows and a monitor, shopping etc. Is there anything else you think I should be aware of? :)

Thanks so much to both of you for your help!

Bogo

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Looking better now, as others have said things like SSD/mem are cheaper and more easily to add to if needed whereas GPU is all or nothing, and if gaming is the main purpose it'll have the biggest impact.

Just wanted to double check, any specific reason for wanting a HDD, and have you checked for boards with inbuilt wifi?
    From a quick google there are boards like: MSI MAG B550M Mortar Wifi which may be a little cheaper overall/less separate parts (which I tend to prefer).

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I have found that a HDD is useful just for generic stuff like storage, and not putting stuff on an SSD that doesn't need the speed, will save on space for the things that do need that speed.

You are right I guess about the motherboard, even the "Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)" is only 25$ more, has Wi-Fi and saves money when you take off the Wi-Fi expansion card. That also has a 12V power supply connector but the PSU selected does not - would the lack of a 12V rail be an issue for this system? The power consumption doesn't seem enormous.

(Shortcut to the build!)

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What do you meant be a 12v PSU connector? That board will be fine and should be good for next gen CPU's too.

With regards to a HDD, I don't actually think they're that useful. The reason I suggessted a 1TB SSD as that space will be more useful and is a lot of storage. Its what I run in my machine, I have loads of games and all of my work on it and its fine, still currently have 300GB free. With video streaming and cloud storage, I don't actually think there's a valid reasson for a HDD when that money is most of the way towards doubling your SSD storage! Drop the HDD and the LED controller (the motherboard will do a far better job of managing this) and grab the larger SSD.

silk186 likes this.
  10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I think its the little 4 pin connector you sometimes also get...

Ok, I will take your advice on the SSD. I guess if it turns out they do need more storage a HDD isn't too expensive anyway. Also removed the RGB controller - will just try and find some lights :)

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats a common EPS connector, its usually a 8 pin one now so that probably why you can't see it onn the PSU :)

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ah ok! Thanks so much for your help - I think that's the final build now so I just have to propose it and see if the price isn't too tight on their budget :)

Thanks again!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I threw something together to see what I could do:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z2FDqp

My thinking:

Twice as much NVMe space - these fill up fast and HDDs are so annoying once you have used any type of SSD, even for storage. If desperate, you can add something in later for $50

Case is far more premium and comes with 4 good fans so no need to add more. Also front panel USB Type C. A much better foundation to use in the future when upgrading.

PSU again offers a slightly better base for future use. Platinum PSU are more efficient and so can be quieter too (not sure in this case though)

Mobo - built in wifi, I have found Asus to be good, not sure about other brands.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That case is overkill for a started build, the money is better put elsewhere. A B550 board is more than enough, the additional features of x570 aren't going to be used. The difference between bronze, gold and platinum at these power levels isn't work the extra spend. You literally don't earn back the money unless you're driving the system at 100% 24/7.