1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Surround headset??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 18 Dec 2016.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

As I have a wife and two kids the question of setting up surround for gaming in my home office is an absolute NO. I mainly play when the kids are a sleep...

And I already have a class-leading DAC/headphone combo for music and movies, so nothing wrong here too.

My main point is to find a great WIRED surround headset, using USB to connect to the PC.

The PC is 10 meters away in a closet (too long to explain why now, dont ask), and I dont like to introduce more wireless things at the moment, already plenty signals in the air without I need to bring out the tin-foil hat. So only interested in USB connected ones, as I have USB right by the keyboard.

I dont have ANY experience in surround headsets, but have 10+ years real world experience with installing proper surround cinemas. Help me out what to get for gaming.

2. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

I have an ASUS Strix 7.1 headset that I like - it's actually true surround rather than virtual. It works well in games but audio isn't great for stereo sources like music. But since you're after a gaming headset, it would probably fit the bill. Just make sure you don't have small ears as the ear cups are quite large.
    It won't reach 10m, but there are USB extension cables available that should do the trick.

I sympathise with trying to keep quiet when the kids are asleep!

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I went as deep as the razor tiamats (7.1 true) but always wanted a pair of
    Razer Kraken 7.1 or Razer Megalodon

USB has max ext of 5meters ?

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Forgot to sat, i already have a active usb hub close to the keyboard, so as long as the usb is just anout 2 m long it will work just fine

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

This one looks pretty cool, but also a bit pricey compared to i only need it for gaming... im not replacing anything, im keeping my denon dac and bowers&wilkins headphones for music/video, just looking for a pair to get me surround video gaming sound. But again, the sennheisers looks pretty sweet, so maybe i go for them anyway... im not deciding until after xmas, so keep recommending

7. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I keep meaning to buy the ASUS Strix 7.1 (Not DSP version), as this is the only headset I know of that does 'true' surround sound rather than virtual. I've heard hit & miss reviews but that would still be my go-to given no budget limitations and a definite desire for surround. They are still recommended in the Custom PC magazine after very many months.

My prior choice was the Creative Tactic Omega 3D. I've not used these since investing in a proper DAC + AMP + Shure headphones but really enjoyed them after prior headsets and 2.1 speakers. There seems to be a bunch of < £100 deals on these now ... (?)

8. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

You got a point there... i want TRUE surround, and is that really the only pair who have the needed 10 drivers for 7.1, then it will be the strix im going for. Anyone knows any competing pair with kind of the same specs?

9. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Well I just found some reviews and the Razer models dont get very good scores in terms of sound quality, Strix have very good sound but sounds like the build quality could be better - the Roccat Kave Digital XTD sounds like best of both worlds.
    They are more basic 5.1 and not 7.1, but cost about the same as the rest, so according to a few reviews i read thats what it costs to have both great build and awesome sound, that you can "only" get 5.1 true surround. So I actually just ordered a pair.....
    Will check it out if its really as nice as everybody say, i sure hope so.

Xmas gift for myself.