1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features The 10 Best Weapons in Gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Aug 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I can think of a lot more fun weapons,
    • 007 goldeneye - proximity mines
    • Saint Row - Penetrator
    • GTA RC Bandito

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The shotgun instead of the nail gun for FEAR??

The blade-thingy for the smuggler dark elf in Asgard's Wrath is also super fun to use.

I'd argue the
    super-charged gravity glove
    in HL Alyx is more fun than the gravity gun.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The cerebral bore from Turok was one of my favourite weapons, just for its gruesomeness.

Plus I always loved the cook able grenades in RTCW multiplayer as if you timed it well you could bounce it off a wall and kill the person chasing you.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2020
    The_Crapman likes this.
  5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I loved the utterly overpowered Ion Cannon in C&C3. But the capacitor hum as the Obelisk of Light charged up to fire in all of the C&C games always makes me look around madly if I'm playing as GDI. :hehe:

In more action-oriented games... yeah, the Quake 2 railgun. Others escape me right now.

The F.E.A.R nailgun was great fun, I agree.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No one lives forever 2 Crossbow
    Shadow Warrior 2013 Katana + Quad Barrel Shotgun
    Hitman series Piano Wire

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Whilst cynical me thinks that "Top 10" articles exist solely to drive engagement though "OH-EM-GEE how did you miss my favourite!" posts.

I do feel compelled to comment that the lack of Doom Eternal's meat-hooked super shotgun is unforgivable.

So I guess it worked.

wyx087 and The_Crapman like this.
  8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd have included the WSTE-M5 Combat shotgun from the Marathon Trilogy, particularly when wielding dual guns. Fun name, fun reload animation and lived up to it name in game play.

I'd also give honorable mentions to SPNKR-X17 SSM Launcher/SPNKR-XP SSM Launcher also form the the Marathon Trilogy.

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Never had more fun than the Laptop sentry guns in Perfect Dark on N64...

NickCPC and The_Crapman like this.
  10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I raise you Perfect Dark's bouncing proximity grenade.

In fact that game could fill a chunk of any top ten weapons in games list by itself. The Phoenix explosion firing pistol, the Reaper gatling gun but also a lawn mower, the laptop gun, all of the various exploding things. It was a recipe for chaos, everything's balanced because everything's ludicrously over powered.

My personal favourite was always the Cyclone with it's 'dump entire magazine in one go' button.

NickCPC and silk186 like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would have put the Fatman from FO3 in there, as well as this

If you could be arsed with the serious aggro of getting it :D

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The original Shadow Warrior bunny rocket heat seeking nuke.
    Being caught in a death spiral with a fart-propelled rabbit that could blow you across the map was a fond memory.

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think really favourite rather than best would have been a better title, as it's very subjective. If it were actual best, surely there's very little to compete with the golden gun from Goldeneye (and other bond games). AWP from counterstrike, the 1887 shotguns in MW2 totally ripped and were still beasts post nerf, the flare gun from blood (a lot of weapons on blood and blood 2 were pretty darn cool) and could we really go without the iconic crowbar?

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Weapons i always found fun [if not always effective] -

Miss Launcher - Fallout 3
    Two-step Goodbye - Fallout New Vegas
    F60 Machine Gun - Red Faction
    Mass Driver - Descent 3
    Concrete Donkey - Worms series [though many of the worms weapons qualify for the sheer absurdity of them]

15. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

That's bait.gif

I'd have taken the concrete donk before the banana bomb from worms.

And for many the originator of guns in games being noteworthy and such listicles as this would be the BFG. But I suppose it's like citizen kane winning best movie all the time.

Pistol in Halo (or was it H3) was pretty cool as it did the headshot thing well.

Also yeah the saber from jedi knight academy was legit, had a lot of fun doing a saber only run, but holy hell picked it up on steam recently and it hasn't aged well.

Speaking of which, the severed arm in Bioforge.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't get me wrong the Banana Bomb is an iconic Worms weapon, and unlike stuff like the Concrete Donkey was relatively easy to acquire.

...but so is the Sheep, the exploding Granny, The Salvation Army Bandsman, the Holy Hand Grenade... etc. etc.

or using one of your past incarnations' severed arm as a melee weapon in Planescape: Torment

...or even the insult fighting from Monkey Island.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2020
  17. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I am rubber you are glue. Think I've got my next Halfacree rejoinder in the bank!

18. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Since I saw the word "boot", the Duke Nukem 3D arsenal's been in my head. Freezethrowers and shrink rays and tripwire mines... and a micromissile-spewing machine gun taking up the coveted "weapon 0" slot.
    Duke 3D's weapons were a playground.

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^Indeed. I can recall doing boot-only runs through Duke levels. -Often alternating between laughing and singing the Can Can during an attack. If a character ran around the map with his foot constantly in the air nowadays, kids would call it crappy programming.
    I LIKE rag doll physics, by the way.

jb0 likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It was very easy to get all of the weapons within a day with a cheat I worked out. Well, not a cheat but a tactic.

Build a structure as high as you can using girders. Put some angled girders in front of it and a few below. This is to stop missile and homing missile strikes, as that is all the PC will have.

The PC AI will not attack this structure at all, because there are no worms up there. It just doesn't know what you are doing.

Then, teleport as many worms up there as you can. On your next turn use the Indian Nuclear Test. This will strip the worm's health down to 1 but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that the water will rise on every turn, so you simply use the skipping rope until all of your opponents drown. And they will, because once again the AI has no idea what you are doing.

So yeah, with that technique it was very easy to earn all of the weapons in less than a day :)

Tags: Add Tags