1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2016 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 29 Nov 2015.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Well that sucked!!

The new format would make more sense if it was a single 1hr session imo, and the flag cut off was scrapped. I suppose we'll just have to see what happens come Bahrain.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Will channel 4 be doing highlights like BBC did?

3. 13eightyfour

It looks like they're showing highlights at 12:15. I was going to watch it just to see what their format is like, but after watching it live I just can't do it to myself!

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Expected a better fight, kinda also expected the way q2 and q3 would end, if a team can't catch the team in front they have little reason to run another lap.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. javaman

Reading that article its as if no one watched qualifying themselves. The grid wasn't totally predictable each race before and lack of running as Hamilton put it was due to lack of tires. Surely dropping free practice 1,2 and 3 and forcing teams to do setup and testing in a longer qualifying session is the way to get cars on track.
    Tinkering is needed and I don't oppose change, I oppose poorly thought out ideas that don't address the cause of the problem.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The way i see things, there could be a simple solution to quali that would maintain the current change:

When you are in the knockout position, you have 90 seconds to make it to turn three of your hot lap (or a DRS line, or something). If you didn't that's it. If you can't make it mathematically (use best sector times for the day) anymore, that's it. Done.
    The 90 second window would then allow itself to be abused for "fake pitstop" moves by various teams.

Random Example: Williams chasing Force India.
    FI know that the williams could go faster, but are hedging their bets. They could go out, making everyone think they are committed to a hotlap, then back off. The moment the lap is no longer mathematically feasible, the timer jumps. This eliminates FI, but it puts Williams in a position where they need to go out and cover way earlier or risk a scrambled start (since they have 90 seconds without warning to get to point x on their hotlap) especially on the longer tracks.

That's my theory... right now... I am tired. I may be completely wrong.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That was really bad. Far worse than I thought possible, although I was one of the few who thought it might be ok. How Haas got the timing so wrong I just don't know, why were Ferrari and Mercedes were running the supersofts in q1 using up their allocation. It just really didn't work at all. With the old style you might have had a bit of a lull in the middle of each session, but at least at the end of the first 2 you'd have 5, 6, maybe 7 cars out trying to get through to the next round and in q3 you'd normally have all 10 out trying to smidge up a few places or snatch pole in the dying seconds.

I think they're only going to be able to significantly change the quali format once the tyres have been changed significantly. To only have an optimum life of 1-2 laps is abysmal and I can't see it changing under pirelli's reign.

9. 13eightyfour

If they want to get all the cars out all of the time, the best way I can see is to have 2x(1/2 the grid) lap sessions, and have the slowest car from each lap eliminated, so half the grid are gone on the first 'race', whilst the second 'race' determines the front half of the grid.

The lap timing is reset every lap, meaning mistakes are more costly because it's only that lap that counts. Let the teams use whatever tyres they like but they'll have to last the full session because pitting will get you booted.

10. RedFlames

Whilst new qualy format was crap, was pleasantly surprised by the C4F1 coverage

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Nico needs to improve quickly, Or it looks like another Lewis Jaunt to the title.

All the talk before the qualy was his previous 6 poles mattered alot and he would have the confidence for number 7. Where was that driver? As it was not on track.

Ferrari look further behind than they have ever been.

This time last year they were 0.6 seconds behind the Merc. This year they are nearly a second. The second ferrari is 1.1 seconds back.

12. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I was quite enjoying the insanity of Q1 and Q2, but Q3 was a giant turd.

Maybe they just need to change Q3 to the old format and give teams as many tires as they need for the final session.

Whatever happens, I don't think they should just ditch the new qualifying straight away.

The most worrying thing though is not the format, but it's how far ahead the Mercs are again, even further than last year it seems.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Martin Brundle expected a closer fight his reaction in Q2 was funny, Lewis was 1.2 seconds clear of the field and he was just flabagasted by what he had saw. Merc are trying to downplay it but the facts are there for all to see.

Lewis gap to Nico is 0.3 seconds thats a lifetime in a sport measured in milliseconds. Vettel is just below 0.9 seconds adrift with kimi 1.1 seconds back just crazy stuff.

Lewis could of gone faster is the crazy part there is a slight mistake in his lap that does slow him as was picked up on in the after bits when doing the lap comparison.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

They didn't get their timing wrong, it was literally that impossible.

Clock starts at 16 minutes.
    Time from pits to start line on nearly full speed, let's say 1:40 (remember, pit speed restrictions).
    Your lap, around 1:27.
    Time from finish line to pits on nearly full speed, 1:40 (remember, pit speed restrictions).
    Time from pits to start line on nearly full speed, let's say 1:40 (remember, pit speed restrictions).
    Your second lap, around 1:27.

So that is 3x 1:40 + 2x 1:27. In my calculations that is 8 minutes 54 seconds, with literally 0 seconds spent on tyre change. First cars start is kicked out of qualification after 7 minutes, seconda fter 8 minutes 30 seconds.

TL;DR: First 2 cars kicked out of qualification have zero chance to do second lap with pit stops.

15. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I thought this, easily solved if they give more time before elimination starts. I also thought it would work well if drivers could get their second lap in as the timer is ticking down for that position. That would be exciting as every 90s you would be excited to see if a driver could improve their time.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Of course i did my math wrong, but just by a minute :p. so it takes 7 minutes 54 seconds with 0 pit time to do two laps including a visit to pits inbetween. and first one is kicked out after 7 minutes, so he has 0 chance. Second one has 36 seconds to spare, which is still very tight and if they want more than just tyre swap, they run out of those seconds.

17. javaman

It amazes me the rose tinted view of the last 2 seasons.

2014 Hamilton went out in the first race and had to fight back the points to catch Nick. Any time he got close the car failed and he had to claw it back again before finally winning the championship. No one mentions that AMD it was a "close season" despite Hamilton dominating apart from the failures.

2015 was a repeat of 2014 minus the failures. The last 3 races Hamilton didn't care and when Rosberg beat him it was hailed as suddenly Rosberg should of won the championship somehow.

2016 Hamilton dominates the first qualifying and free practice and everyone is shocked, amazed and in awe that it could possibly happen.

The driver of 6 poles was on the track. The past 2 seasons have shown Hamilton will dominate the first half of the season over him.

18. RedFlames

That's also assuming they're pretty much first out and don't get held up in traffic, a real possibility with all 22 cars out at the start...

Pretty much whatever the format, there's very little stopping Merc doing a flyer at the start and then sitting the rest of the session out relatively worry-free

Last edited: 19 Mar 2016
  19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So that was a cracker of a race. Wonderful stuff.
    Thankfully no injuries in the Alonso incident.
    And well done to Haas for doing what Manor couldn't.