1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I rest my case.

So sad.

2. K

K 528491

They're awesome. I was going to buy my mum a Mac for her 50th birthday but now I'm thinking she would get so much more out of an iPad. The books, the email, the apps and general internet browsing wherever is just a joy. Especially if you're not too tech savvy. Really like it.

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I bought my mum one for her 55th birthday, she loves it. :thumb:

The iPad is especially great for people who have never used a computer (and don't want to), what's the point in her leaning things like mouse cursors, windows and file systems when she doesn't need to? Should she A) Sit down and spend hours at a desk learning all about the operating system just so she can use the internet and check email or B) Just sit on the sofa and start browsing?

Also, can a mod change the really obnoxious title of the thread? I think we're all past the point of bashing a piece of hardware that nobody is forced to buy.

4. K

K 528491

I couldn't agree more. I could go ahead and replace her PC with a Mac mini or MacBook and support it so much better and she'd be able to browse the web and and get her emails and so on and so forth with a lot less hassle than on her Windows machine. But with an iPad, she could do all that and a whole lot more wherever she likes.

The iPad is such a wonderful device for media consumption, and let's face it, that's all people like my mum really use their computers for these days!

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

For extra brownie points, get her one of these too. It's absolutely gorgeous, she'll love it.

6. K

K 528491

Have you got one? Saw these just before launch, they look really really nice!

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Bought a Dodocase for my mum, will probably get myself one if I buy another iPad. I have a home PC, Macbook from work that I have to carry around *everywhere* and soon a iPhone4 - not too sure if I want/need an iPad for myself, time will tell.

But yeah, the Dodo is great, incredibly well made and also works as a stand. The only thing that sucked was the long wait time, apparently they're getting flooded with orders. However it is very much a cosmetic case. While it will probably protect against a bump here and there, it isn't a protective case at all. But it does feel a lot nicer to hold in your hand than a bare iPad.

8. K

K 528491

I'm exactly the same. With an iMac myself and very soon an iPhone 4, I'm not sure I really need something like an iPad. Want and need are two very different things of course, heh.

Sounds really good though! I'm not a fan of the Apple or Incase ones currently available at all really.

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Bookmarked. Will blow money on it once I have some to spare. New lens can wait, iPad must be accessorized first :hehe:

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have played with the ipad a few times and I really can see a use for it in my house. A great little thing.

+1 on a thread name change, the iPad has to be the complete opposite of fail. iSuccess?

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

+2

iConcur. ;)

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Great bit of kit. I want one, my wife wants one and has been said, is also perfect for mums who just want to browse the internet and check their email.

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Having had one since launch day, I've been very impressed. It's had far more use than my old netbook. Mainly as it's so quick to turn on and has amazing battery life.

The thing that has surprised me the most though is people's reactions to it. As soon as I use it at a clients or mention that I have one, they all want to have a play. Nearly all have said they wanted one. Shows just how good apples marketing is.

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

It shows how good the product is, even the best marketing in the world wont help a shite product. Anyone remember Virgin Cola?

15. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

75 year old father in law (never used a computer) was round at the weekend and having played with our iPad, now wants one. My 76 year old mother wants one too to replace her Asus (very fkin temperamental) laptop. My partner will be getting one as well so we don't fight over the one we have while on planes or on holiday.

We've got 3 laptops of varying sizes around the house and they haven't seen the light of day since getting the iPad. I just can't be bothered to wait for boot, constant charging, fannying around with a cursor on screen. Might chuck those on eBay and put the cash towards a beefier Mac ...

+3 for changing the name of this thread, which seems to have been conquered by common sense and an understanding of tech and gadgets as opposed to prejudice/bias and hatred of a brand ...

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

So peoples general view on the iPad is good, so how much better will it be once Apple role out iOS4 for iPad later in the year?

SAm

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pretty awesome. :)

I kind of like the irony of the Thread title. It's like those grumpy old men of yore saying that television would never catch on. :p Except that elderly gramps and grannies are fully seeing the point of an iPad. Which makes its critics worse Luddites than people who think that electricity is the work of the devil.

Any geek could see that the iPad would almost inevitably be a success. It is the next logical step in the evolution of computer technology in our lives. It is not a computer; it is a user friendly device that let's us do things that we used to need to do on a computer. It is the commodisation of computer technology into ordinary people's lives.

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Indeed that's true, but for everyone to know what it is, that's a remarkable feat.

That said a lot didn't know much about what it did.

19. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I'm looking forward to iOS4 it's going to improve a lot of day to day things on the iphones and ipads. Not sure when we iPad owners will get it. I believe iPhone users get it this month.

Edit: Damn I meant to add this to my previous post, apologies for two posts in a row.

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I was in Apple store again today and was told that i will get the update for iphone on 22nd, so fingers crossed.