1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MMO's to challenge Warcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 31 Aug 2006.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The Pirate one looks interesting. If done right it should even be self-balancing: winning side = more (& bigger) trade ships = more opportunity for pirates from opposing nations (i.e. It should be more dangerous but also more lucrative for people to attack the bigger nation - just like it was in Sid Meir's Pirates! (original > recent remake IMHO)). Combine that with something like the ancient BBS game TradeWars 2002 and it might be fun (though, now that I look @ TW it sounds a lot like what I have heard of Eve Online)

I look forward to seeing LOTR & am curious about Stargate & Star Trek but if history serves as a guide LOTR will be only ok, the Stargate game will be mediochre, & Star Trek will suck even more that "Enterprise" did. :wallbash: Conan sounds like a one trick pony - lets see, I can be a barbarian or maybe a barbarian, or what about :idea: playing as a barbarian :p

For anything of quality I think the closest would be the one-time cost of Guild Wars (that's why I bought it) :thumb:

2. TsunamiWombat

TsunamiWombat What's a Dremel?

Guild Wars was an interesting game, with beautiful graphics, unique gameplay, and best of all NO MONTHLY FEE'S!

Unfortunatly it was completly instanced and lacking any dynamic elements, and calling Guild Wars an RPG is equivilant to calling George Bush an academic. Sure, he WENT to college... some of the time... But it's just not the same.

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

The only game I find interesting on there, and then only if it dosent make you pay repeatedly.

Wow looks like crap to me still, it all looks the same and when I see my friends playing it all I can think is SSDD.

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Eve = excellent, and shouldn't be ruled out, I dont know many other games who's subscriber numbers have constantly increased, at an increasing rate, month on month (25,000 subs a little after launch 3 years ago, 100,000 less than 9 months ago, 140,000 just anounced)

This warhammer online is a completely new RvR-based game and not the world-based warhammer online that was being made before, they have said warhammer 40,000 might have been fun to do instead, but when games workship aproached them they already had there own Sci-Fi MMORPG Imperator in the works (since been indefinetely shelved) so they wanted to make a fantasy game.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Nightfall for the win in my personal opinion...i'm really into the storylines at the moment..

6. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

:( the world based warhammer game looked so promising too, i hate it when companys stop devlopment, its not like citadel minatures are low on funds, £5 a hit for a single cast metal figure =\

id love a 40k based game, playing as a 8ft tall space marine or some evil chaos marine summoning up giant demons :D
    i guess i just perfer sci-fi to myth and magic stuff.
    mybe i should check out that cell shaded mmo, anyone played it?

edit: i cant even try the mmo out :( seed has a 'free 14 day trial' but to get it you have to enter credit card info for a subscription, and they dont accept maestro cards, if its free, make it free damnit.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2006
  7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

8. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Interesting article.

I can say I got into beta for Lord of the Rings, and it's pretty much like WoW in every aspect, but you don't need some annoying mods to run in raid groups and just to have for extras. It does take alot of resources to run it though.

I think Lord of the Rings will have more content, since it's based on the book/movies compared to WoW which Blizzard just seems to add more epics and more raids.

Lord of the Rings and Warhammer have a chance of taking the MMO crown imo.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I just wish they would pick a new time period, wow hit my limit of one game being played in the land of elf's and warriors etc. Although it's not even an MMO homeworld 1&2 to me had superb graphics, story and music. some of these other concepts look more interesting and I'm personally more inclined to the space sci-fi period, but it really seems like we only have 2 time periods right now, sci fi future, evil aliens crazy bulky space marine armour, and fantasy past, evil orcs, crazy bulky warrior armour etc. Can we get something new?

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm not sure WoW is loathed only by those who's lives it's ripped away, I think most other MMO game players(guild wars doesn't count) hate it too. WoW is so huge it's had a massive impact on other games, and many other MMO's have suffered for it. For a start, the MMO community was actually reasonably mature and friendly(I found) pre-WoW. Sure there were your leet egits, but by and large I think the genre was an older persons genre, average ages being closer to 20 or 25 then 10 or 15. WoW changed that and brought MMO to the masses, as it were. While this means that maybe the games will get more attention and focus from dev houses, it also means the stupid screaming people have to be put up with.

WoW is almost similar to a band in a fairly underground scene who hit number 1 in the top forty and stayed there for 12 weeks. It may have done very well, it may be very popular among even the pre-WoW MMO fans, but it definatey brought many disadvantages to the genre.

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I might have missed it but I didn't see Vanguard: Saga of Heroes mentioned at all. Alot of people in the WoW community are apparently touting this game as the one that will detrone Blizzard. I see most of it as empty threats because people always claim the newest MMO is the best and jump ship only to whine later and go back to the former. Vanguard I believe is being made by the original Everquest team (or comprised mostly of) and will be centered heavily on grouping and will not be easy to level up in. Also there game provides a huge incentive for being very active within the community of the game, becoming King or something to that affect within the game itself. I guess the game is more along the lines of what the Hardcore MMO players are looking for.

12. drolander

drolander What's a Dremel?

Agreed. I can't believe Vanguard SOH wasn't mentioned in the article.

13. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Vanguard was nearly included, however at the last minute I pulled it, had I included every up and coming MMO then the article would have gone on forever. the line had to be drawn somewhere.

14. Aether

Aether What's a Dremel?

Greetings, from Pirates of the Burning Sea!

First, I want to thank Ryan Garside for the kind words he shared regarding Pirates of the Burning Sea! While we appreciate the mention, I wanted to take this opportunity to share a little more information regarding our title, and perhaps address some potential misunderstandings regarding the kinds of features we offer, and the current state of our game.

First, I'm happy to share that Pirates of the Burning Sea has been in closed beta since this December, and folks who are interested in applying for a spot are welcome to do so by visiting this link: http://www.flyinglab.com/pirates/beta.php

Secondly, I wanted to give you some context regarding our User Content program. We have had phenomenal success with our user-created content system, but our approach is so innovative that it can be a little difficult to see how it all plays out in the context of our game.

For instance, we allow our players to model their own ships in 3D and submit them for inclusion into the game. If the ship is up to par, we give it some stats, and we make it available to everyone, not just the person who built it. In fact, if the player built themselves a huge 100-gun monster, it may take them a while before they can even sail their creation in the game! Just thought I’d point that out – when new players join the game, they aren’t faced with the daunting prospect of feeling left out. In fact, every ship submitted by the community only adds to the richness and variety of options available to that new player.

When it comes to game features, I'd like to share our more recent announcement, namely the fact that we have expanded PotBS game play to include avatar combat in addition to our naval combat systems. After reading your article, it appeared to me that you might not have been aware of our commitment to providing community building tools. The difference being that we refer to our guild social structures as Societies. That being said, this is just one aspect of a suite of tools that will be available to the PotBS player community.

Finally, I wanted to touch on the notion that our game involves much more than Pirates alone. In fact, you can choose to be either Pirate, French, British or Spanish, and that choice will dictate the kinds of experiences you will have in game, from your role in political and economical intrigues, right down to the manner in which your personal story unfolds in the turbulent world of the 1720's Caribbean.

Again, I want to thank you for recognizing Pirates of the Burning Sea as a title to watch, and I invite you to drop me a personal note, either on our forums (http://www.flyinglab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18), or by sending me a personal email with any further questions you might have!

Cheers!
    Troy 'Aether' Hewitt
    Community Envoy
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Nice to hear from a rep of the Pirates of the Burning Sea. That sounds great that the ships you buy may have been influenced by or that of a player submitted designed. With tools like that it should definately keep the world alive with so many different types of exotic looking ships. I can understand why you didn't include it Garside. A few of the ones you mentioned I haven't heard of yet so it was nice to see that are a few more coming out that might give Blizzard a run for their money. I'm definately looking forward to Warhammer's PvP aspect.

16. DruTheRed

DruTheRed What's a Dremel?

For those of us on the PotBS forums this artical almost roused the sleeping beast . Luckily Aether has responded correcting the missinformation about our baby and we can continue our love affair with sailing in the Caribbean in piece.

Honestly though, those of us that have been following this game understand the need for something that dosnt involve wizards and rail guns. We want guild involvment and we want a community that has to rely on itself while we play. The crafting system, resourse availability and faction domination seem to give us all that. Add to this boarding ships and fighting the other crew to capture a ship and running about towns in the 1700's waving swords and pistols trying to chop the wooden leg off the parrot make this game so much more than the artical reported.

Anyway glad our dear Aether corrected a lot of the missconceptions .

Again thank you for highlighting PotBS as one to watch and maybe the corrections make it even more one to watch? Come and visit us on the forums and you will see we are much more than get in a ship sail about on our own.

17. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

It's great to see enthusiasts come and share their knowledge about their favoured game. The difficulty with writing a preview for a game like PotBS is that features are constantly being added, removed or changed.

I stand by my comments that the game could struggle (in enticing people to play at Pirates) but appreciate everyone has their own view on the matter. I certainly think the concept for the game is one of the most interesting and wish you all the best success with it.

18. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

but in pirates can we have gerbil powered 1000 canon super boats? or floating forts :D
    or or or some of the first metal ships like they made and nether could destroy eachother, just hours of battle with cannon balls bouncing off the armor plating(cant remember when they were made) that would be cool ^^

19. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Warhammer, "Tabula Rasa", Startrek and stargate all look like interesting games

However, i would like to issue a nice boycott over LoTR - a game made by Turbine
    I HATE TURBINE - they are the biggest bunch of w**kers ever, and they can shove their current, and future MMO's right where the sun doesn't shine

IMO the biggest contender to WoW that i ever played was AC2 (Asherons Call 2) , a game originally made by turbine and MS, eventually MS gave up on the game, and sold all the rights back to turbine - 1 year later, turbine releases an expansion pack for this game (which was rather overpriced for the MMO it was)
    Surprise Surprise, no advertising, nothing useful, the expansion was a flop - and they closed AC2

Since then i refuse to ever use any turbine software, because after 5 or so years, they will just close the game, and your left with NOTHING

Imagine if WoW closed - how happy would you be, 1k's of hours gaming - GONE in a flash

Even then, i believe WoW is more expensive then AC2 - and its a success, AC2 was also much better GFX wise (even though its 4 years older or something)

However, a stargate game - that's something that interests me

But anyway, personally i recon "Tabula Rasa" will be the most interesting of all - the thing i hate about WoW is its, click this button, click that enemy, click this button
    Its boring as hell, and requires no skill (maybe that's why its so popular - any n00b can be pr0 on that game)

Ive played WoW about 500 hours, and after that, i decided it was just the same thing (1 6 month contract or something) over and over again, its just not fun after any amount of time

Even one of the Pure Pwnage people gave up on WoW saying "n00bs and children spoil the game" (something like that)

I'm getting bored of plain old FPS now, but MMORPGFPS - that could be interesting

20. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

i read an article a few months ago in a games magazine, there was an announcement about a MMORPGFPS, (can't remember the name of the game :duh: ) but it was kind of a mix between an MMORPG with battlefield 2, with a lotta users, with a dark macabre sci-fi theme and weird looking chars and stuff... ow and the graphics where superb..... erm but i forgot the title :waah:

(/me is gonna dive in his secret hideout with tons 'o magazines to find the title of that game :wallbash: )

Tags: Add Tags