1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

John Wick 3 9/10
    Loved this infact more than the first one

Spiderman Far From Home 8/10
    Watched this in the 270x at Cine World really enjoyed it. Stay behind for the 2 sets of end credits

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Spiderman Far From Home 8/10
    Good movie, not too hung up on the MCU up until this point which is nice. Curious to see where they'll go now.

"Chicago" on Broadway 8/10
    Wife and I spent the weekend in New York. We wanted to watch a Broadway show as part of the whole experience and nipped some "reasonably" priced tickets for Chicago (as if anything in NYC is reasonably priced). Enjoyed the show fare more than I expected. Sure as hell beats watching a musical movie.

Lion King 8/10
    Really liked this. The animals looked amazing, Timon and Pumbaa were great. Just bearable enough on the musical part cause most songs were already in the heart <3.

IT
    7/10
    I was expecting a bit more scare tbh, though maybe my wife over-hyped it due to her fear of clowns and dolls. Other than that it was a fairly slow film.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Does this answer your question?

[​IMG]

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

not really been keeping up to date with the annucements, but the what if and hawkeye series may swing me to sign up to disney +

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Not in the sense of what movies, more in the sense of whether or not they can keep interest.

Forgot to mention, the Spider-Man film has a bit of a childish vibe, clearly catering to a new generation.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

The Boys 8/10

Only about half way through the series, very good shows the messed up side of super heros Karl Urban is like that mad drunk at the pub most of the time. Most episodes someone dies horribly, the role play death was rather gruesome. Funny turn your brain off mainly mayhem.

LennyRhys and goldstar0011 like this.
  7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

I AM Mother 8/10 watched it with a few mates and i am surprised how little peeps pay attention to the clues the films gives away nicely put together film with such a small cast.

MightyBenihana likes this.
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Endgame 6/10

entertaining but I'm not a marvel fan so to me its just yet another comicbook film with a 3 hour runtime.

Alita urgh/10

turned it off 2/3rds in, too much source material desperately crammed into a hollywood film meant pacing was off . the weird CGI eyes were unnerving too.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Aladdin - 9/10
    No jokes, I loved this.
    The Guy Richie flair, the energy, it all comes together beautifully. Yes, we know the story, and yes, there was some skepticism about Will Smith, but he makes this film great. Honestly, of all the old Disney reshoots, this is the one.

Lion King - if the old one was a 10, this is a 7/10.
    This, by contrast, felt mainly unnecessary.
    The songs are missing a distinctly african vibe that the old ones had.
    The voice casting (let's leave Scar out of this, because I think that was the one many people were very sceptical about) is off. Pumbaa is great. Zazu is great. The rest is flat, Nala is just WRONG (not to mention Beyonce oversinging the crap out of Can you feel the love tonight.
    Ultimately, the reshoot adds nothing, and loses quite a bit, which begs the question "why?". A massively unnecessary, (albeit technically massively impressive) remake of what I consider probably the best film in history (that's a completely different debate).

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Series, rather than film, but:

Over The Garden Wall - Gnome Hat/10
    This thing had been sat on Netflix for years, completely ignored 'cos I think I'd got confused between it and that crappy kids film with the computer-animated gnomes in it. It's absolutely fantastic, and short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome. My only complaint is it's rated Everyone, but I think it's probably a bit too scary in places for a younger audience.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Actually, I'm looking forward to the remake of Mulan.
    • Fully Asian cast (no whitewashing)
    • No comedy sidekick dragon
    • Not a musical
    TL;DR - Disney are going all the way back to the original Chinese story.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've just finished watching this. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll keep it simple: it is SO good. I love the alternative take on the superhero genre, and the piss-take spin on various tropes and cliches is just fantastic on so many levels. It's like a mashup of Watchmen and God Bless America. Highly recommended.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Detective Pikachu - 7/10
    This was solid fun, good looking, etc. Not going to change anyone's world, but it's worth a watch.

Avengers 123897 : End Game - 5/10
    This was so very paint by numbers, and felt like it was a solid 30 minutes too long. Of course, this rating is not helped by me being tired of super hero films.

Alita Battle Angel - 6/10
    Not knowing the original (but knowing it exists), this is like a mix of Ready Player One and The Hunger Games. MOST of the CGI is great, unfortunately, it's not quite where it needs to be on Alita herself, especially being next to real people the whole time.
    Solid fun romp, though.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The eyes have to rank as the most bizarre production decision in years and years, yes it's from a Manga, but in the books and the anime everyone has anime eyes. Just giving them to the heroine was super jarring to me.

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Dark Shadows

So it's an oldy, but one I haven't watched since I was engaged to my ex some 3 years ago, so I felt like reclaiming it from any bad memories.

I absolutely loved it. It wasn't one of the best mergers of Burton, Depp, and Bonham-Carter I've ever seen, but it was easily good enough to keep me entertained. I found the character of Victoria Winters absolutely captivating, and whilst the bulk of the comedy came from the differences between Depp and his modern-era counterparts, Eva Green was one of the shining stars as the spurned witch who'd taken over the town.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, it made me smile at some of the interplay between characters, it made me laugh at the werewolf daughter and the hippies, I know I will watch this film again soon.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Alita - battle girly 5/10

Was awright, I suppose. Entertaining enough to kill a couple of hours, but nothing spectacular about it at all. The eyes were a thing when I saw the trailer but I just thought meh anime and, TBH, five minutes into the film and I didn't give them another thought.

John Wick 3 - 6/10

The JW films have gotten progressively less awesome. It was good fun but tried too hard towards the end - the whole superbodyarmour troops for the hotel battle just felt like a "we need to level-up the oppo, cuz Wick is too badass".

TV series - Another Life

Basically, Starbuck gets a command role and some HR sensitivity training. I liked some bits of it but there some jarring plot holes/points that make it hard to love.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  17. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I really liked this too. Didn't drag to get going and kept the intrigue throughout.

Yaka likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Shaft (2019) - 8/10

A worthy successor to the 1970's "Blaxploitation" genre
    Even though Samuel L Jackson has the title role, I'm calling this a sequel as Richard Roundtree plays his father, John Shaft senior.

liratheal likes this.
  19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Avengers: Endgame 8/10 not the best mcu film fat thor was fun. they coulda really ball0xed this one up but they didnt. its prolly down hill for mcu from this point on wards tho

20. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

The Boys 8/10

Pretty damn good, binged watched it all after struggling with episode 1. ass bomb, snigger. snigger, i liked the frenchie the most. but omg Karl Urban is brilliant in this.

LennyRhys likes this.