1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Price of Neptune’s Pride

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2010.

1. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

The idea of spending a month agonising over a game sounds crazy but at the same time scarily appealing...
    I wonder how I can manage to block the site from myself, otherwise I know what I'll be doing for the next month.

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

OK, so I was powerless to resist.
    Signed in and joined a game ... see you in about a month.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Frankly, it sounds really interesting. Long, drawn out games are usually the most rewarding.

I just really don't have the flexibility to play it. I'm working a lot, and I hate the idea that someone can win based mostly on the fact they can sit at the computer all day.

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yeah, what he said - I thoroughly enjoyed that & am going to take a look later.

Trouble is, I'm not too sure I want to play a game like that with my friends - I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with them finding out what a cold, calculating, duplicitous b**tard I can actually be... :)

5. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Very good wright up.

The game reminds me a great deal of Risk, although that game usually only takes a few hours.
    I sometimes play it with my mates, and we always start lying and plotting against each other.

Might try and suggest them to try this game.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe yeah journeyer sc2 is taking up too much time as it is

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Excellently written article, very enjoyable - the game doesn't sound like my cup of tea though, I have a very short attention span :eek:

8. October

October Mariachi Style

Reminds me of Star-Fury... Browser and tick based, but rounds usually lasted a month - 6 weeks. Mucho funtimes were had, so I think I'll give this a try :D

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

working alot doesnt have anything to do with it. u can spend 15 minutes per day and can still win. u can still do whatever u want 99% of the day, and still "be in the competition" due to the relatively-speaking slow pace. which is the biggest hook for me.

unless, of course, ur a n00b like me who just cant close my browser under the constant pressure of learning something new..... then it feels excruciatingly slow and at the same time killed my productivity.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Ha! That's exactly how I sold it to everyone in the office. "Only 5 minutes a day for this really interesting experience."

Lately? Neptune's Pride > Actual Work.

11. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I'm trying it. It's true what Joe says, just a few minutes per day.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Just a few minutes per day...at 2 in the morning, 5 in the morning, after breakfast, lunch and coffeebreak and of course once or twice during the evening...
    Reminids me of Galaxywars, only that THAT never stops.
    Cost me about a year, you know you're an addict when you start getting up at stupid times "just to check the fleet"

13. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Brilliant, should keep me going till Fallout New Vegas comes out.

14. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

Hmmm....
    Dark Galaxy Anyone?
    Very similar memories to what this game seems like. I think I will avoid like the plague, I have been there and don't wish to venture down that road again.

15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

OK, so it's only been 24 hours, and already this game is threatening to ruin my life.
    I sent out a few fleets last night to capture a couple more star systems, set the research parameters and then left it until today. As I got in to the office I logged on to check my progress, and happily I saw that all three fleets had captured their respective targets. So Now the second wave of expansion is underway, and as I await being paid again (in 6 hours) I tinker with the ship's names and such.

I now have six fleets with the following names:

1 - Unfortunate Conflict of Interest
    2 - Prosthetic Conscience
    3 - Tranquil Hegemony
    4 - Youthful Indiscretion
    5 - Unforeseen Consequence
    6 - So Much For Subtlety

When I had set everything in motion that I needed to set in motion I tried closing the window, but unfortunately I find myself opening it back up after only five, maybe ten, minutes just to check on the progress or if any of the other guys around me have something breaching my scan range.

My productivity is bound to take a hit...

Any bit-techers got a game starting that are looking for one more player? :D

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm in a game with Red Beaver, and we're teaming up Bit-Tech stylee to take Red from the front AND the back! You know you love it! :p

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yep, I love it to bits unfortunately. Here I sit, staring intently at the starmap willing the fleets to move faster, and having trouble containing my excitement at getting paid in just few hours so that I may order up some reinforcements.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Little tip: Go for Speed upgrade first, then Scan, then back to Speed, then Scan, then go for what you like. Most people go for weapons first, but you don't use it for the first like, 3-4 days at least.

19. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

i recommend checking out starfleet commander as well, it's an excellent piece of online strategic gaming :)

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That's what I figured as well, so that is actually the route I decided upon. :D

Hm, Yellow is uncomfortably close to what will become my latest outpost. I will need to reinforce it quickly.

Tags: Add Tags