1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Thoughts on the MSI P67A-G45?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mckoneds, 17 Mar 2011.

1. mckoneds

mckoneds What's a Dremel?

Hey all; I lurk the forums here quite often, but don't post too much. But now I am in need of your expertise! :D

I'm looking to pick up a i5-2500k and P67 motherboard for my gaming machine, and I found a good deal on NCIX.com for a bundle with the MSI P67A-G45 motherboard for $335 + $15 MIR. I can't seem to find any reviews on this board though, which makes me a little nervous. Does anyone here have experience with this motherboard. FYI I do plan on overclocking with this board and would like to reach around ~4.4 - 4.5 GHz.

Other boards I'm considering are the ASUS P8P67 LE, and the Gigabyte P67-UD3. I have heard that the P8P67 LE will not allow manual manual voltage changes though, which may be an issue for overclocking.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

The MSI board is very fast, but a bit of a bind when it comes to overclocking. You can get plenty out of it but with much more work than say a p8p67.

I literally hit a button from within Windows for an instant 4.4Ghz overclock....thats over 30% free performance for nothing, not even time!!

I admit i am a bit of an Asus fanboi, but it's the p8p67 all the way for me:D

3. mckoneds

mckoneds What's a Dremel?

I agree. I would go for the P8P67 as well under normal circumstances, but the price of this MSI combo deal is making it very difficult to pass up.

Price of a P8P67 + i5-2500K = $385
    Price of MSI combo deal = $335 + $15 MIR

4. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

yep, thats a bit of a difference. An extra $60 to spend on cooling maybe

If you are a competent overclocker, got for the MSI, but i'm useless and don't have the time to stress test for 24hrs every time i tweak it, so i went down easy street. :)