1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ: Warhammer 40K MMO will be profitable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I reckon the appeal of 40k, for those of us that prefer fantasy titles with guns rather than magic armour, should bring in quite a lot of subscribers.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If its good and doesn't cost the price of a new game for a months subscription then I might play it. depends on if theres free trials /hint hint

4. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I don't like paying monthly fees for games but the 40K universe is awesome. If it's implemented well enough and I get to create a space marine with a variety of chainswords and heavy bolters, I might give this a go.

5. mull

mull What's a Dremel?

Only MMO I give a monkey's about. This IP has a lot of legs, it has players like me and a friend (big gamers, but not MMO players) excited. They better not muck it up!

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Do I plan on playing this? Yup. No bows, no elves, no piddly bows. Just hardcore steel and electricity and big ass daemons. Would love them to incorporate the Dawn of War style squad system, but hey, let them do what they want with this.

Also, has anyone noticed how disproportionate the body is in that picture?!

7. wormy

wormy Minimodder

I agree. Lots of potential. I used to love GW stuff (though was always more into fantasy than sci-fi side). I hope they allow you to roll a Harlequin...and customise colours :)

Sotu, I agree, not a good picture lol The scale of body/armour is more dreadnought than terminator...unless the terminator models were always a bit under-scaled, in which case maybe this is, in fact, more the scale that the GW bods had in mind. If so, terminators would look extra impressive. Hark at me, getting all excited! lol

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It all depends on the universe implementation.
    I am no expert by any means, but if done well, the 40K universe can be awesome, and much more appealing than the WoW one to me personally.
    Between that and the subscription price, whether or not there is gonna be a trial/demo and how many of my mates are playing, the decision will be made. But I am looking at this more closely than I ever did at WoW

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I can see this being awesome if it's done correctly, there's so much back story and lore they have to play with it could be an incredible game. WH online was crap imo, played it for a couple of months then jacked it in (really disappointed having watched the trailers, screenies for a while before the game came out), I can see myself playing WH40K for a long time. Imagine being dropped in from space from a gunship in the middle of an epic war for the control of a planet, having to face off wave after wave of relentless tyranid, or a squad skirmish inside a derelict space craft to recover an artifact. Yep, deffo interested in this but we'll see if they do it right or not come beta.

10. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Yeah, I was wondering if it's the Emperor or something, but he wouldn't be in ultramarine armour. Hey writer person, heads up on who that is? My geek curiousity is peaked...

11. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Agreed, been looking for a change from WoW for awhile - so as long as they have done the environment properly and not bit off more they can chew in terms of gameplay and features, then i'm in.

Also if THQ doesn't ask for your credit card every 10 minutes for "Uber cool stuffs, only available to you in this special - but its ok, if you don't buy it, it's ok, your still cool.... :eyebrow: "
    as Blizzard have started to do.

BentAnat likes this.
  12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

At a guess, Marneus Calgar, chapter master of the Ultra Marines

13. theflatworm

On reflection, maybe the guy in the picture is a Primarch?

14. theflatworm

You're right. I looked it up, and that image is definately him.

15. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Correct, tis Calgar
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...2&section=&aId=2500035&_requestid=1286322

and inspect element on the picture/view page source.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

/troll Ultra Marines suck /troll

This is the only MMO I really give a monkeys about. Massive, massive, huge, mega potential. Please don't cock this up THQ, it could make you one of the biggest publishers in the world!

My money is on a squad based MMO rather than solo characters, as in Dawn of War, but with you controlling the squad. For example, you spec your space marine squad for heavy bolters, or melee, etc.

17. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Been playing 40k DaW 2 like crazy in the past weeks and like it more and more by the minute. A good MMO from the same universe could be very addictive

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Could be good, usually have no interest in MMO's (Guild Wars being the exception, no monthly fees for the Cheesecake).

19. Molajoku

Molajoku What's a Dremel?

A friend gave me Dawn of War 2 for my birthday. I couldn't put it down. DoW 2: Chaos Rising is amazing! These games have thrown me back into the 40k games like you wouldn't believe.
    Pick up the books from amazon if you get a chance and have a read through some of the lore: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Really looking forward to these releases as well as the MMO:

Ultramarines Movie: www.ultramarinesthemovie.com

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine: www.spacemarine.com

20. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Ha never even heard of this.
    Although its defintely worth a look.

Pity about warhammer, in its early levels with alot of players, especially when the trial launched, it was amazing. Although seemed to slacken off abit later. Didnt see the endgame.

Tags: Add Tags