1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tories want to tackle violent games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Aug 2007.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Religion does help to enforce a right-wrong basis in developed countries, but man is evolving to the point where religion is being left behind. 50 years ago tons of people went to church each sunday. Now, some people claim to be "religious" but maybe go to church for christmas eve once a year. Christians, at least, are starting to abandon their faith. Or maybe they just aren't afraid of it anymore.

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Every retailer Ive bought from has enforced it

But my parents believed I'm capable of handling it and bought it for me, I'm not going round hacking people to pieces
    Even if i did, its my fault, not anyone else's, i decided to play them, i decided it was acceptable to replicate it, how is it anyone else's fault but mine

3. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

While were out banning violent games lets ban violence on TV and movies please oh theater

4. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

I remember back when I was a kid there were plenty of arcades and other video game based entertainment centres. Shortly into high school, the government had them closed down.

The end result? Kids in my place today resort to midnight illegal motorbike racing on city streets and vandalizing and terrorizing other races, disturbing the peace in this beautiful country.

5. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

It doesn't necessarily mean that people have stopped believing in the existence of God. A lot pf people probably realize that the Catholic church is just a huge, man-led organization that's rife with corruption and greed. Why confess all of your sins to a man, so then this man can give you permission to be forgiven? Why call this man 'father' when the bible that they are supposed to follow clearly says to call no man thy father (father in a religious meaning, not paternal). They realize how unrealistic it is to strictly follow so many rules and rituals and would rather just formulate their own opinions about right and wrong and live their lives by their own morals.

Speaking of religion...this topic has nothing to do with religion:D

As for the matter at hand...as always common sense will win out and people will come to the same conclusion they always have over violent games. It's the parents responsibility to raise their child and instill morales and teach them the difference between right and wrong. This doesn't mean you can hold the parents 100% responsible for everything their kids do, though. Some people are just crazy. You're born a sociopath, you can't just become one. (here comes Nexxo to correct me!:nono:) All the time you hear about killers and rapists where the family and friends say "wow, he was the nicest guy I've ever met. He was so calm and relaxed. He was friendly and personable and I had no idea he was capable of killing 13 babies!"

I might display aggressive behavior when I'm REALLY absorbed into a game. I'll be running around shooting aliens, or driving a race car, or stomping Goombas with reckless abandon. When the game is over, though, it goes away. My brain can differentiate between fantasy and reality, and for those that cannot make this distinction...nothing is gonna help them short of therapy and medication. If a violent or aggressive kid can't get his fix by playing a game, he'll just find something else to do instead.

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You think that's bad?

We've got Jack Thompson remember?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, sorry... :D

People can be born with a certain temperament that, in the wrong environmental circumstances or with the wrong developmental experiences, can develop into a sociopathic personality. But nobody is just born a sociopath.

You also have to separate deliberate neglectful/abusive parenting from parents that do their very best in bad circumstances (coping with illness, or extreme poverty and deprivation, or even just not being very intuitively skilled parents). Like sociopathy, bad parenting can hide in small corners. Just like you'd never expect that nice, polite, if somewhat withdrawn guy next door to eat 13 people, there are people you'd never suspect of being dismally poor at parenting. After all, that family looks clean and well-fed and well-mannered enough... Forget stereotypes. It's not that simple.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Nexxo when are you going to make that gaming and psychology article?

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

QFT, I'd love to read that.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've been talking to DaDego about it and working on it, but I've been extremely busy in my job... and there is the Metaversa 02 case which is going through its third CAD re-design --oops, let that slip. Well, you'll just have to wait and see about that one... :D

Currently reviewing the scientific literature (and there's loads) and doing a critical analysis the methodology. This may take a few weeks...

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

He's conservative, what do you expect?

13. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

I wonder what the criminal's top ten games are, and how long their hours of gaming are.

That Nintendogs can get you pretty wound up...

14. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

This is probably why the tories want to scrap the human rights Act, so they can force through draconian bans on anything Mary Whitehouse would've found offensive.
    Cameron, we are told, is in trouble with his own party over his sinking poll numbers, this partly explains things too ,he's playing to the hard authoritarian right.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2007
  15. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

I liked some of his ideas, but I strongly disagree with him, and being an avid gamer who likes violence, and never gets the urge to deptic the acts played in game, I feel this is out of touch, David Cameron is a communist.

Tags: Add Tags