1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Trackmania 2: Canyon Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

This looks an awful lot like an ancient game i used to play on my dad's pentium 1 laptop, i have no idea what it was called but the screenshots posted look like graphically revamped versions as do the cars!

I don't remember much about because it was the best part of 15 years ago now i think maybe closer to 10 but that huge jump, the cars and that when you chose your car it'd spin round on a podium and an overly manly voice would say the name of it.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_Car_Racer

?

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^ I remember that game - it was awesome!

5. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

damn! what a great game that is!

6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Played Trackmainia almost daily for a couple of years and I'm not sure how well this will go down with present players, the tracks & cars look quite different to the stadium cars & tracks which is environment most people play.

7. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

i would say that the people that own the paid version of trackmania will probably be interested. though i have to admit i'm torn, there just doesn't look to be anything new to it, other than graphical changes/improvements.

those that still only play nations forever - for free - are unlikely to make the move, if they couldn't be bothered to pay 5 quid (steam sales) for the full version which gives you a LOT of environments, they're not going to shell out money for this

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Trackmania is aimed at the old school "Stunts" fan. I pitty those who don't know what Stunts is, nor ever played & loved it.

Really looking forward to Trackmania 2.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I don't know if we're on the same page here but it immediately made me thing of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Octane

10. Notional

Notional What's a Dremel?

I've always thought about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game) when i see trackmania. Stunts was an amazingly fun game.
    There was even a bug on one map, where hitting a concrete block just right, would send the car flying straight up into the sky and fall down crashing again.. good fun on my old 486 IBM.

I guess Trackmania is todays stunts. And good I say :D

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I loved TM and this graphical update looks enough for an upgrade assuming they keep a similar price.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Just started playing TM again a week or so ago. ;)
    Loving it.

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Agreed. While I am more than likely going to buy this, play it extensively and then re-enter rehab I'm not totally down with the canyon style.

14. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

stunt car racer...Geez

I've stil got a boxed version of Geoff Crammonds original REVS and am pretty sure SCR is in the same area in the loft.

15. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's essential for every game to evolve. If you are tired of the original, then maybe this just isn't worth getting. But there are new generations of gamers constantly arriving, so they will go for the new shiny version and it will be fresh for them.

Hopefully for us there will be at least a few new nice ideas though.

16. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

or maybe for those whom are fans of the trackmania series will be looking forward to new tracks new puzzles and new challenges. I had trackmania sunrise and loved it, spent hours creating an awesome track.
    Very much looking forward to the next release.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

TM Editor is about as addictive as Lego but without the downside of taking up much space and cheaper and has Online Multiplayer and you can easily hide it from Family / Friends / Visitors.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

one of the old school games fell in love with was called racing destruction set for the atari 8 bit..

used to love to lay mines down behind my car and watch my friends car go flying into the air for like half the course.. remember it had engine damage so you could get to the point where if you mined the course just right, your friend would end up in a pit he couldn't get out of.. then for fun lay a mine in the pit on the way around and watch him go flying up and down (the mines reset, they weren't a one time deal- why the course got really interesting)

you could even make your own tracks and adjust gravity.. wish they'd remake

Tags: Add Tags