1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TV Licensing Authority to deploy Wi-Fi sniffing vans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Aug 2016.

1. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

An example of why the BBC is amazing: It's coverage of sporting events, I'm not even into sport but I can dip in and out of the Olympics at will because the programming is of such a high quality. Compare this to the likes of NBC and you see why it's worth it and I'm not even keen on sport.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Many people think their national broadcaster is good value. The one here is awful (like you don't know how good you have it with the BBC). Not only do we get 3rd rate programming and talent but we also get ads.

The thing is opting out is massive pain in the arse and you harangued with threats of court, letters, and unwanted calls to the house all because you don't want a service.

Like I said previously I can't have anything capable of receiving a TV signal without having to pay the license. I had considered getting a large commercial display with no tuner in it, but trying to tell some monkey that the thing that looks exactly like a TV is not a TV is likely just to get me a summons.

Make the national broadcaster a service like Sky and those that want it can have it and pay for it and the rest of us can be left in peace. This idea of detector vans and letter campaigns and door to door calls is ridiculous and annoying.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Depends, if your "average target group" isn't europe....where's most of bit and it's readers located? ;)

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Stuck between an interdimensional rift between the UK and Europe. :D

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Interesting to see 15% from advertising, would that be the world service?

What I'd be interested in is where the money gets spent, i tried deciphering their annual report but found it lacking in details, details of the not so obvious things they spend money on like funding the Micro-bit, broadband, shared transmission infrastructure, and those sort of things.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Could also be advertising revenue from Channel 4 [and/or S4C], they are still [technically] a UK Public Broadcaster.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Could be from BBC channels abroad as well.

I just got a letter this morning from the TV licensing people saying thanks for letting them know I no longer need one, and they won't bother me for two years. Not bad - I was expecting an arsey inspector to be round next week.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I watched the women's hockey finals on my phone last night with CBB playing over the TV. It had the gall to ask me if I had a license !

Cheeky gits. I wonder how long it will be before they start collecting IPs?