1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK Government to delay age verification scheme launch 'indefinitely'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Jun 2019.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm trying to follow, are you saying using a VPN could lead to people ending up on darker parts of the internet?

I've used a VPN, essential for public networks, and i've never ended up down that rabbit hole.

But as @Anfield says, if the authorities want to find out what you've been up to, untraceable we are not. It's just some things are easier to track than others.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And why would someone even follow a path to darker parts of the internet in the first place when some of the absolute worst stuff is right there on plain old social media?

Say for example someone was flirting with Nazi ideology... the end point of going down that particular rabbit hole would be watching live streams on FB rather than exploring the "darker parts" of the internet.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Some people yes, you don't end up down that rabbit hole because you're a sensible, rational, person.

Not everyone is like you and i would guess there's some far more unsavory places than 4chan, stormfr*** or the bay of pirates, all of those contain (afaik) technically legal content, I'm making assumptions as i don't frequent those sorts of places but i would guess there's plenty of silkroad equivalents out there.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

VPNs are essential for public networks.

I'm just not a fan of cottonwooling the world.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...and then you have the likes of YouTube whose algorithms don't so much show you the rabbit hole but actively try and throw you down it.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or Facebook hosting a certain stream from New Zealand and being the home of entire grooming gangs, or all the sh*t that goes on on twitter, tumblr etc

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Well that wasn't a complete waste of time, money and energy :rollingeyes:

Someone should have told them it wasn't a practical or good solution beforehand... Oh right, they did but were ignored by confident idiots.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

"We carn't does it, dems kids 'as got us beat." Tory party spokesman.

Tags: Add Tags