1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK jails considering RFID tags

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Sounds feesable as long as it explodes if they dont do what they are told. Kinda like MI3.

:)

3. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

As long as Its put under a muscle or something, last thing you want is them cutting it out and pretending to be "at home" whilst comitting some crime elsewhere...

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

The thing that scares me is that the gov may eventually start using this on other people..... after they "test" this on the prisoners and find them not dangerous....

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

sad thing is I can actually see that happening. It will start out as being part of the ID card then some bright spark will come up with the money saving idea of not having to issue or replace lost cards by you guessed just implanting the tag when a babys born the midwife does the weighing of the child cleaning of the child then the implanting of the child how long before it would become an accepted and everyday practice

6. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

I'm my opinion, certain prisoners give up their "Human Rights" when they commititted their acts. I see no reason why they shouldn't be "Tagged" in this manner.

It shouldn't be used on anyone else though, as that would be a "Human Rights" issue.

7. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

To me this is the problem with most Human Right systems!

Murderers have the right to live!

A Thief has the right of ownership!

A Guy or woman who rapes has the right to pay his dues and possibly rape again! Cut it off I say!

Who will then stop this guy from running his drug operation from his house, or ordering a hit on a witness or just intimidating the people that prosecuted him!

Where is the justice for the victim?

The problem with space is the Human rights, The Cell must be this size! He must be able to read! He must have light! He must have his own toilet!

All a bunch of #$^%$@#, if you ask me!

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

criminals are still human......

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm fairly sure that under current law it could and would only be done to volunteers, who would presumably be given the choice and see limited house arrest as somewhat more attractive than prison and an invisible RFID less stigmatic than a whacking great ankle-box. As a choice, fine. I would not support the idea of anyone being strapped to a table and having this done to them.

That said I'd take the position, very robustly, that this sort of thing needs to be watched like a hawk. What I think we actually need is a subdermal RFID which can be deactivated. That'd be rather good, because you could then use it for all manner of ID situations, from getting cash out of an ATM upward. Impossible to lose or forget and at least messy to steal, although it does bring to mind the possibility of rather macabre instances of identity theft.

Obviously, you would need to be able to deactivate it externally and independently prove that it was deactivated.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

if they are criminals, throw them in jail.. thats what they are for... if they arent, leave them alone, i really dont see the problem....

11. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

I thought that was part of the problem, jails are overcrowded and making more costs the tax payer loads more money.

As for their human right i say bol££x to it, stick the tags in them and see what happens, but maybe only to those with the most serious crimes, rape, murder, etc etc, then if it works, those convicted of theft and things like that can have them put in and released into the community to serve their sentence helping the community. But I also think corporal punishment/death penalty should be implemented in the UK too...i guess its people like me that mean human rights activists exist, and therefore an equilibrium is reached.

Note: I wonder if a human rights campaigner who has been raped might change her/his mind about the situation if suddenly they arent unbiased but instead harbor a hatred against that person that might alter the way they think about the world. Please note, i am not wishing that upon anyone, rape is one of the most horrifying crimes known to man and warrants death, not release after 10 years imo, the situlation was purely hypothetical as at times i fail to understand certain logics/thought patterns of those campaigning for such 'righteous' causes, maybe i am too cynical and too quick to see the bad in people and draw -ve judgement?

peace

fatman

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

having them walking around (with or without rfid chips) cant really be the solution though... i mean there must be a way to make it cheaper with other means than having them on the street.

death penalty woudnt help either, because look at countries that have it, theres still crime.

13. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I this the whole idea behind the tagging is that criminals with lesser crimes would be put under house arrest people a little more trust worthy to be allowed on the streets at all. Think a murderer would think twice about cutting it out of his arm?

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It also gives the government the ideal reason to place readers around the country to monitor movements linked in to our impressive camera system, which coincidently is also similar to a scheme that is being cooked up for the passport system ( OPTAG ) and will no doubt be in ID cards, when this is done you will be able to track and lock on to a citizen in no time at all, big brother will be watching you!

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Everybody knows Texas has no murder crimes.....:rolleyes:

you do know that RFID passports can only be read when opened........

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

This is such a horrible idea. RFID isn't meant or designed for long-range tracking, unlike ankle bracelets. Unless you lot get so Orwellian as to have tag readers in every doorframe and embedded into all the roads, this is just a creepy misleading approach at nonsensical identity tracking.

Let me say that again: RFID can not be used as a GPS tracker replacement. It's a short-range technology designed to embed a few kilobytes of data into products and devices - effectively a barcode on steroids. Like a barcode, it's insecure by design, and can be read by any standard off-the-shelf equipment that costs only a couple grand if that. This kind of move is yet another slippery slope approach to Minority Report-esque advertising. It's a solution to one problem that shouldn't exist being touted as a solution to an entirely different non-problem.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I know what they can do now and whats in development for the future ;)

18. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Why are you even all discussing this, it's rediculous

19. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Clearly need Running Man tagging system.

That'll learn 'em.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've just added an update to this story after receiving an email from a Ministry of Justice spokesperson, who says that the story is bogus.

Tags: Add Tags