1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK retail game sales surpass music sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I bought Orange Box (pre ordered to get the early TF2 time :D) and Cod4.
    I don't buy music, although I'm thinking about changing that (having seen today that amazon offer DRM free tracks)
    I probably buy 1 or 2 dvds a year.
    Being a student, the cash needed entertainment isn't exactly readily available. I expect once I graduate I'll become a fully fledged consumer xD

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I was same Mentai, but 2 years after student life i aint changed one bit

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Bought ET:QW the other day, COD4, etc. I buy quite a few DVDs, but only from Play, as its cheaper.

5. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

only album i bought last year was kings of leon: because of the times. Games? i got phantom hourglass, mario kart, geometry wars, ff3, lego star wars, crysis, cod4, orange box, bioshock, world in conflict, c&c3, dawn of war, dark messiah, quake 4, bf2 & spec forces and unreal tournament 3. ok, so i've only had a job for 18 months and its been the only time in my life when i could afford to buy stuff, but still...

edit: forgot my wii, i got cod3 (poor), twighlight princess (awesome) and wii play (poor) for that

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I brought a 360, and have ended up with 4 games for it, so that'd count as retail

but again the ignoring the downloads thing! :duh:

I've brought several xbox arcade games online, pretty much all my PC gaming was online only (steam, wow) and i've even started buying some music online as they've finally given up on the DRM

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Ive spent a small fortune on games this year, but only a few have been genuinely worth it. A fair number were at retail as well, but if I can wait then I will order from play.com as it usually saves a bit of money.

Saying that though.. I saw some great deals in Tesco the other day. UT3 for PS3 for £34.99 !!!!! In GAME its 44.99.

As for Album sales... cant even remember the last time I bought an album. Isnt Music free these days ? LOL! Just Kidding!

In the next 5 years I expect all games to be bought online as downloads. The future of retail games sales is non existent.

8. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Buy all my games/music/dvds online, usually direct from USA/Japan Great Dollar exchange rate and a region free DVD player. Only retail purchases recently Orange box from Sainsbury's as it was a bargin.

9. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

im sure the release of the xbox 360, ps3, and the wii/ds has a lot todo with the boost aswell.

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bought 25 xbox 360 games last year however I have not bought a music album since 2003 because there isnt much out there i like. This year i have clocked up 4 ps3 games and will be buying a couple of PC games I still need and will continue to buy 360 and PS3 games. I have no interest in buying Music at the moment and will also continue to buy more DVD's :)

I also dont 90% of my buying on line now becuase its so much cheaper and worth the 3 days on average wait for them to arrive.

11. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

all music i buy is direct from bands and distro tables at gigs. this helps smaller bands and lables out

i dont watch many films now - but i have downloaded films if i have a copy on vhs in my loft
    [lots of vhs in there]

i spend most of my money on games - pc is download via steam or boxed from cheapest place possible
    ps3 is always second hand and cheap as possible - until the good games start coming out im not bothered
    xbox360 is always new from cheapest online retailer

12. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Always buy games unless just to test. Buy quite alot of dvd sets and dvds but hardly any music.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

buying music? how does one do that? I cant even remember the last time i did it....

dvd's? well, there is a limited supply of good movies, but if a good one shows up in the bargain bin I buy it.

games? in nov 07 i bought several, but since then nothing has been released (except audiosurf) that i bought online so it didnt count.

14. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I picked up some games in a 3 for £10 offer last week, I think I bought an album something like 7 years ago and I picked up a few cheap DVD's in the january sales.

Generally speaking I tend to spend my money on games and via play.com (or occasionally steam) though.

Tags: Add Tags