1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other unlocking a iphone

Discussion in 'General' started by stormbringer500, 1 Apr 2015.

1. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Hi there I have a Iphone 4s that I will be selling but I'm wondering how much it would be to unlock cheaper the better needless to say. Thanks.

2. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

If it's a 4s then you should be long out of contract. All you'll need to do is contact your carrier and ask them to perform the unlock.

I tried a couple services right after my wife got the 5c. They are all bait and switch scams. You pay $20, then you are on a list for a long time, then they say you need to pay $160 or some stupid high amount to complete the unlock, but don't offer any refunds. Emails go unanswered. You have to call the bank to reverse the charges.

A few years ago you could use a service like that and it was cheap, but then the "insiders" who actually have the power unlock a phone were mostly found out and fired, so there were far fewer people who could do it, and they couldn't do nearly as many without raising suspicions. It got expensive really fast.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Unless there is a hack that makes it cheaper (or free), you basically need a carrier unlock code. The price of this varies. A Moto G a while ago was £2, the Galaxy S3 I've just unlocked was £16.

You can get it from you phone company, but from my (not massive) experience a really well rated eBay service (if available) is my preference. For the S3 it was cheaper and quicker to do it that way. Plus you don't give your old network the satisfaction :)

I think the fact it's eBay/paypal should basically eliminate the risk of being ripped off. The company I used had 19,000+ feedback and 100% positive, so they can't be tooo bad :)

4. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for fast replies I have used ebay to unlock couple phones, it was quite cheap might check into that if that fails looks like I will be contacting vodafone to see how much they will charge me.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Voda it can be up to £20 iirc depending on if it was a pay and go or contract phone...

EDIT: Link

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've found eBay the cheapest

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Oh and and as a former apple phone drone who got asked this day in, day out - no apple can't [won't] unlock it for you, so don't even bother trying them...

They can [though it's a grey area rules wise] typically tell you if the handset is locked or not but not who to...

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Quick glance on eBay:
    If it's locked to 3 it's very cheap,
    O2 is moderate,
    Vodafone a bit more again (but still less than the £20 they charge)
    And EE (Orange/T-Mobile) is expensive and/or requires a bit of hacky-sim-type hardware.

9. Guest-17499

Guest-17499 Guest

Tesco mobile did mine for free as the original contract had finished