1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb powered scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by U U U, 28 May 2004.

1. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

Got a packard bell usb powered scanner when plugged into a new medion pc it does not work when plugged into my old compaq it does. Could there be a problem of not enough voltage going to the usb ports of the medion pc to power the scanner, is there anyway to check this without pysically using a meter on the usb terminals.

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I have one, it's basically a USB plug/wire attached to a 5V-rated LED. Simple to make, useful forever.

3. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

can you try another port was the one you tried an add on one (on the front panel).

Ben

4. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Try using another port, if that doesnt work, do other USB devices work?

make sure that the motherboard has the USB enabled in the BIOS and that you have the chipset USB drivers installed :D

5. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Seen this many a time. What u need is a POWERED usb hub, it's the same as a standard usb hub but connects to an AC adapter aswell so it'll provide the extra oomph for your scanner. They go for £10-£20 btw :)

:EDIT: Make sure u check all drivers and software b4 u go spending any cash :EDIT:

6. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

you set on usb port to bios ever usb port have 5v with 0,5A total power 2,5w don't use a passive hub, if you want increase power use a hub active(with power supply).by:D

7. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

err, that's what I just told him to do :eyebrow:

8. U U U

U U U What's a Dremel?

cheers guys
    all 4 ports failed to power scanner, but would power laptop hard drive and mouse so i guess it's a powered hub needed.