1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I hope to God they have cross-platform support.

Playing Portal 2 with a friend on PS3 was refreshing, to say the least.

2. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

I've been playing CS for 10 years now and still didn`t gave up on 1.6 Hahaha

The only game that really made me getting CS aside was TF2, however, I'm still excited about this new CS though. Just hoping it won't be horribly as CS:S

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Will there be hats in it? ~.~

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

sweet I love CS but always wanted it to have an updated appearance so lets see how this goes :)

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Count me in, I'm a bit out of practice these days bit I love a bit of Counter Strike!

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Valve seem to be announcing everything but what we want. Episode 3 guys, get on with it or if you aren't going to do it then tell us. Leave it much longer and it will just become another Duke Nukem - it just won't live up to the wait.

7. GravitySmacked

HL2 was released just after CS-S so maybe this is a sign? :idea:

8. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I had a wee emotional moment when I saw that headline. Can't wait for this one

9. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Will be getting. Love Source :)

10. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Screw matchmaking. I hope that crap is just for consoles (can bit-tech please ask about that at GamesCom?)

Other than that, yay Counter Strike.

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

hardcore CS player, played from beta 4.3 on (back when the PSG-1 was god and the AWP was newb choice) and the m-16 had a scope (too OP). I was also big in the tournament scene circa 2001-04 timeframe.

anyways I don't really play anymore seems there's nothing left but weird mod servers, gun games and all this other hodge podge that wasn't the original game. I miss the old school 5 on 5, competitive gameplay days (a little too out of the circle to get back into league play)

The whole point I'm getting at is CS has very old school gameplay. Lets see: no health regeneration what so ever, no aim-down-sites (love it or hate it) Very limited radar support, and it was famous for round based gameplay, which was fine and dandy for team and competitive play. But in the modern context most gamers don't have the patience to wait around 1-3 minutes while the round ends, especially as this penalizes the noobs.

it also lacks all the modern inventions like killstreaks, classes or leveling, vehicles, UAV's or a more effective radar. I'm not saying it's bad for this, and the classes was a design choice. but will it remain the only game where you buy guns for the round?

So I'm just curious how they'll do the game, will it strictly be a graphics refresh of CS:S gameplay? will it change fundamental mechanics to match modern shooters? I.E will it get ADS and classes or leveling or will it remain a center-screen cursor game where you memorize the spray and competitive play revolves around 3 weapons (AWP, M-16, AK).

I feel either way they'll get a bunch of flak if it's a "modern FPS" then all the hardcore players will rage (as I did with the crap that is CS:source) if it's old school than it will marginalize most new players who get frustrated after getting HS 10x in a row and are stuck watching the death cams again and again.

identikit likes this.
  12. GravitySmacked

I hope it's a refresh; changing the gameplay to match the more 'modern' FPS games out there would be a shame.

13. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I'm massively excited for this but if they change it too much (i.e. they add a bunch of stuff like regen health, killstreaks etc) then I think they've lost their way.

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Thanks for reminding me just how much I hate most modern FPS games. And the AWP is still a noob weapon.

I really hope they don't change too much. I loved 1.6, and while I did enjoy Source, it was no where near as good. Headshots just felt way too easy to get.

15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Cross platform multiplayer possible? Time to show up joypads once and for all.

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

17. identikit

identikit Minimodder

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

The one thing CoD has going for it, is that the gunplay is spot on if you want a fast paced frag-a-thon. That's why I loved MW1. Ever since then, I have felt it has been designed more and more to cater to 13 year olds that want big explosions, no thinking, no team play, easy killing. It's like a massive, adolescent, instant-gratification machine. And that's why I hate it. And the tubes are even worse than the AWP, since at least the AWP doesn't have AoE, and doesn't need to be scoped to be accurate.

As far as modern game mechanics go, I do definitely enjoy them. Don't get me wrong. Some games would be **** with traditional health percentages. In fact, I do prefer regenerating health, generally speaking. At least in SP games, since if it comes down to a choice between hiding behind a wall for a couple of seconds, or back tracking to the last medkit I remember, I may as well have the one that keeps me playing and doesn't break the flow so much.

Thing is, if they were to release a CS game without changing any major mechanics (such as health, adding ADS etc), I would love it because it would keep the kind of gamers I just spoke about from playing it. The main reason I want BF3 so much, is because it is so team based. Sure, you can play team DM etc on CoD, but unless you have a group of people you know who play well (say for example you are on matchmaking on your own), team games just end up being 16 Rambos running around, who happen to be on the same team. That is the mindset of modern FPS games, generally speaking.

CS is not about that. That is why I don't think they need to make it "competitive" with modern FPS games. It doesn't need to be, nor is it aiming at that audience. If they keep what make CS the game it is, they can fiddle with minor things all they want; I don't want a CS clone with no changes, I do want some things mixed up to keep it fresh and fun.

The thing is, I kinda agree with you in that they may want to make GO competitive, and if that is the case, I expect ADS, regenerating health etc. If it was going to be PC only, I wouldn't be worried. But to appeal to the console crowd, I do worry it is going to have to mutate drastically, and lose all of its fans in the process.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2011
  19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I hear that.

Also, what's with people's lack of quoting skills today?

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Sorry, may as well delete.

Tags: Add Tags