1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve to drop Steam support for Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Jun 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Canonical, rather than Valve here presumably

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yarp - it's been an early start and a long morning 'ere. I'll go fix, ta!

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

At the moment, Ubuntu is still supported; if Canonical carries through its plan to ditch 32-bit library development in October, A. N. Other Distro will become the official not-SteamOS-operating-system of Steam for Linux. Valve hasn't decided which, yet, but I guarantee it'll be Debian-based (maybe even Ubuntu-based, from the first spin to say "we'll take over i386 development").

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I find myself siding with Canonical on this one. If not forced to, software & hardware developers tend to keep patching the same old software/drivers to work with the new environment. I see this is similar to what Microsoft did with Vista and Apple has done a couple of times with both hardware and software. Sure it caused some initial pain and suffering, and some people (myself included) lost support for some precious this or that, but it paved the way for a much product down the road.

I suspect that there will be ways around the the lost of 32-bit support on Ubuntu for those who really need it.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Fun fact: every single piece of Windows software you've ever installed (from Windows 95/NT upwards, I hasten to add, I'm not talking WFWG here) used a 32-bit installation program. All of 'em.

Canonical's actually semi-backed-down on the plan - presumably 'cos losing Steam would be a big blow. I'll do an update in the morning.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

My comment wasn't meant to be specific to 32-bit support, but more general support of the decision to remove legacy support (after an appropriate transition period).

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Didn't Vista ditch 16-bit support, or was that 2k/xp....

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

why dont valve just do it for rasbian os,

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I am not 100% sure what all they did but as I understood it the major change was to ditched a bunch of legacy DLLs that were essentially DOS drivers with a wrapper to make it work with Win 3 with a wrapper to support Win98, etc.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

64-bit Windows "broke" 16-bit support. So that includes Windows XP x64, which to be fair was poorly supported anyway (tin foil hats on for possible reasons...) but it was Vista x64 that saw the beginning of the end of 16-bit code for Windows.

And have almost every game on Steam that does work on Linux... not work any more? ARM is not x86; worse, ARMv6, v7 and v8 all have different quirks.

But Valve supporting Debian (which is what Raspbian in based on) is a good idea, since Debian tends to support architectures until they're so old they probably have a place in the fossil record.

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

New update from Ubuntu

https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32-bit-i386-packages-for-ubuntu-19-10-and-20-04-lts

monty-pup likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Tags: Add Tags