1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Very strange startup pattern. What could be the issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quizz_kid, 9 Nov 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hi guys.

I've got a very strange startup pattern.

During boot, it freezes at the black "Starting Windows" screen.

I then have to hard-reboot, and it enters the "windows error recovery" screen. I chose "Start Windows Normaly", and it boot into windows just like it should, with no issues.

I shut it down from the start menu, power it up again and the issue repeats.

The pattern is the same with or without mobo drivers installed/updated.

Specs:

Mobo: ECS H61H2-TI
    CPU: I5 2500k
    MSATA: Crucial m4 64GB
    RAM: 2x4GB 1066 non-ECC SO-DIMM
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
    Power supply: 19.5V 90W brick

It's not a power issue I guess, since it works flawless each time I get it working from the "windows error recovery" screen.

Could be the cooling maybe. CPU temps are around 43C, so that's ok. But the Noctua cooler heatsink never gets hot, while the smaller components on mobo gets really really hot, especially the ones around the cpu, they are almost burning. Don't know if that's normal on these low profile mobos though.

Any ideas?

Last edited: 9 Nov 2013
  2. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

If it was a cooling issue I would expect it to be more unpredictable. Sounds like windows is doing something differently when you select start normally.

If you download a live CD of a linux distro, does that freeeze on initial bootup aswell? May help work out whether this is software or hardware related.

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Good idea, thanks! Will try linux tomorrow... If it turnes out to be some kind of Windows issue, can this be fixed somehow? My copy of Windows works good on other setups btw...

4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I dont know, I think a software issue is more likely, but want to rule out hardware issues first or we will not make any progress.

If the linux cd boots ok, then we need to check windows has all the latest drivers, updates etc. Also see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard available.

5. H3rrMux

H3rrMux What's a Dremel?

I sometimes have a similar issue on my rig, but my win7 x64 only freezes.

Specs:
    MSI x58 Pro-E
    Intel i7 3990K
    OCZ Gold 6Gb (3x2gb)
    2x Gainward 580gtx Phantom 3Gb
    Adata 32Gb SSD (will edit in exact specs shortly)
    Seagate Barracuda 1Tb
    Western Digital Green 500Gb
    Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1,2kW

I will try linux too as, posting results here asap

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Bit of a odd config you have there, the cpus tdp is more than the psu alone.

No other psu to try?

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It's an all in one Bungle. The power supply is like a laptop one and will have been supplied with the machine the components are integral to.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You should be able to source a beefier brick still.

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Ok, I disabled fast boot and quiet boot in BIOS, and now it seem to work... Im a bit concerned about the heat this MB is generating though. The CPU temps are fine, about 40c. But the strange thing is, the smaller components around the CPU gets really hot, like burning my fingers when touching it, while the the noctua heatsink is really cold, as if PCs not powered on. Other stuff like wifi card and RAMs are also very very hot. Is this normal?

10. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Does sound like the board is getting very hot, maybe you need to look at the case fans, try to get some more airflow through the case. If its a cheap PC then it might be that the cooling is not very good, and will therefore have a shorter lifespan than if it was properly cooled.

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Do the ram sticks have any heatsinks on them? Even when overclocked, ram generates little heat and as long as you have something to increase the surface area, it's nigh-impossible for them to get overly hot... As for everything else, picky is right, you should consider better case fans.