1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VMware bug keeps servers down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

heh, i never upgrade our version of VMware in the office. still running an older version and it works just fine.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hahaha clearly

12/august = 12/08 ie misread to mean end of year funny

i love software bugs someof them are so silly

4. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

We use VMware pretty heavily where I work. We virtualize anything that can be. We did not have this update applied though. We only do updates a few times a year to save on server down time.

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Lesson learned... never stand up new patches as soon as they are available. Wait a week or two to see if others experience problems. Especially if you have critical systems that could cost $$$ or worse if they go down unexpectedly.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2008
  6. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

Have VMware on in my test lab here, but Didn't have the update installed yet. Glad I didn't, but at least it would have only bee the test lab server (though that would have kicked my butt for some other migration testing I'm doing right now)

7. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Affected 2 of our servers, though fortunately they were only running test machines, not production systems. Rumour has it they left in a time-bomb from the beta by mistake. Pretty careless tbh - they can't expect to be taken seriously against the likes of Microsoft when they do stupid things like this.

8. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

We run a smallish farm, still running 3.0.2, we're looking at upgrading to 3.5 but had only started looking at 3.5 U1 (thankfully).
    Quite funny, the dev guy working on the upgrade was peeved that he'd just downloaded 3.5u1 and a few days later 3.5u2 was released.

9. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

3.5u2 has some nice added server hardware monitoring features - it can read things like temperatures and voltages from BMC sensors, and also get health status from a bunch of different RAID controllers. Our servers are all Dell PowerEdge 2950s with PERC 6i controllers, so it's even able to read little things like RAID controller battery voltage and charge status - very cool. Now they've patched the time bomb thing, I'd strongly recommend looking at u2.

Tags: Add Tags