1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote on which remote I should use for my Media PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 8 Mar 2003.

?

Which remote I should use for my Media PC

1. LCD Home Theater Remote

47 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. 15-1994 Smart A/V Remote

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. X10 RF Mouse remote

24 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Packard Bell A/V PC Remote

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

LCD REMOTE is cooler... it's blue but you can mod it to red later!!!

2. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> good choice zap

3. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Get another ipaq, and use it as a BIDIRECTIONAL REMOTE :D
    So you can choose movies etc through it directly.

4. [S]lammer

[S]lammer Can't touch this!

Just found this, thought you might be interested...

[​IMG]

---
    L-I-N-K
    ---

btw, great job with the MediaPC, its looking really good.

5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I think the poll results are deceiving... since the HT remote has an LCD loads of people drool over it and immediately vote :p

Slammer: that remote looks cool :D

6. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Think zap's got it right. Use the x10 for pure functionality, then use the nice lcd one later on. Not voted as I can't choose both :)

7. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Can you use one of these???

Last edited: 10 Mar 2003
  8. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

JEEZY CHREEZY!

Me like.

9. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

I voted for the HT remote, but I'd like to put my hands on one of those huge SONY remotes! :waah:

GeeK!

10. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

While i might get flamed for this i will post it anyway.

Dont use any of those. If you have a palm like device (ipaq palm handspring ETC...) you can pick up some software to turn it into a learning remote. I have it on my palm m515. It alows for marcos menus and X10 codes. the layout of the butons can be user designed. so you can layout the buttons however you want. you can also make differnet remote setups acces via a menu. so you can have on for DVD controls only, one for PC functions, one for audio. The only draw back i can think of is that it is a learning remote so you need a control with the functions already and then program the buttons from that. if you dont have a PALM like device you can pick up a cheap Palm handheld with the cheapest starting around $99 US but i wouldnt recomend that one i would use one of the m500 series like the 500 505 or 515s. (the m515 has a hella strong IR LED i can change the channel from more then 100 feet.

the only other draw back is if the IR LED in the unit is weak then youll get limited range, but it could be swaped out or you could pick up the IR base station.

as for the learning thing it does allow you to download Control profiles so i dont think it would be that hard to create a custom profile with the frequencys and code for the different devices to be controled

the program is called OmniRemote free 30 day trail, i had it for 3 months before the trial ended for some reason, buggy dy change code, it would tick off days if i manually changed the day in callender (ood)

Get it from http://www.pacificneotek.com/
    (disclaimer: i have only used this software on my Palm m515 and a palm V, the Palm V has a VERY WEAK IR LED)

Pros:
    Fully programable buttons
    X10 compatable
    Macro enabled
    User designed layout
    multi devices split amung multipul screens
    customizable apperence (skins if you will)

Cons:
    requiers a Palm like device
    If you have a weak IR LED then you need to swap it out or get
    the base station
    Only a learning remote

screens: (sorry i dont have a server for them but this is best i can do for now)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Also another con of using a PDA is the battery life. It won't last anywhere near as long as a normal remote will and would suck if you forgot to recharge it.

anway didn't someone already mention using a PDA?

12. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I was thinking of trying this:
    [​IMG]

Not sure how many functions you can program to it, but its voice activated, and replaces normal remotes.....

<shouts> Gimme Bit-tech <shouts\> lol :clap:

13. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

As far as I can remember the big sony remote has a beeper that goes off about one hour before the batteries run down to let you know you need to charge them. The other really good thing about the big sony remote is that the LCD display turns itself off after about 1 minute of non-use to save the batteries and has a little light that flashes periodically to let you know where it is in a dark room, also the charger has a button that you can push that will set off the beeper on the remote itself incase you misplace it to help you find it

14. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Those are all good ideas.

But, I am not spending any money on a new remote.
    I don't need the remote to be learning or programable, as the Media PC will learn what ever commands I give it.
    (Unlike a TV that is hardcoded)

As for the voice remote, the IPAQ will already give me this type of control, as I have voice software for it.

I definently dont want a PDA remote, as I want the Media PC to work like a consumer device, instead of a PC.

15. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

i voted lcd, but just because i looks cooler than the otehr X10 remote, id probably go with the other one because i like things to be simple, but the lcd remote just looks cooler :).

dez

16. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

i think u made a wise desicion by going with X10 Mouse Remote first and later on with the LCD one.
    if u hadn't beat me to it i would have said it first.

17. Frogbutt

Frogbutt What's a Dremel?

I went the pda route for my htpc it works great for picking from play list and launching programs but I still use an old fasion remote too. Its nice to have somthing you can hold in you hand and use to flip around channels on tv so id go with somthing with rubber buttons and not an lcd screen.

[​IMG]

18. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Frogbutt, you write that software yourself?! Looks like a gorgeous interface which I'm assuming you designed?

19. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Grr. What's wrong with this thread? It says the last post was made at 15:52 when actually NiHiLiST posted at 12:02. I keep seeing it in my Subscribed Threads list as if there had been a new post made since my last visit but nothing's changed. Has anyone else noticed this?

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I noticed that, and got an email notification too... unless the post was deleted? :worried: