1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress WCC: ...a Present from GlaDOS [MotY Nominee!!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 16 May 2011.

1. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

....and again...it´s time for a new worklog :clap:

In the last weeks, we had a bit of spare time...because we had to wait for a few parts for our 490T Casemod. So we used the free time to play Portal2...

We loved Portal...and we also loved Portal2....so we were a bit sad/disappointed after finishing it....but after finishing the song from the turrets....we get happy again after getting out and receiving our Present from GlaDOS....

After hearing here lovely song...we quickly decided to build a Weigthed Companion Cube Case :D
    We often had that in mind...but up to now we didn´t build one...

So we made a first brainstorming...to see how we would make it, how big it should be, and which features it should have....

After that we started the building process...with the first wooden parts, which we cut out.
    The next step was to overwork all edges so that we could join them in the next step to one piece....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Dec 2011
  2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I'll be following this :thumb:

3. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx!!

after preparing the first corner of our cube...we take the parts as template for the next 7 corners....then we glued the first of them together so that we can overwork the edges of the corner (every edge had to get a specific angle)

Beside that we also started the work of the middle parts...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What's the size of it?

And yeah... a weigthed companion cube is allways nice to see :thumb:

5. zeBriukas

zeBriukas What's a Dremel?

Omg, this looks amazing! Subbed :) But i think that cube no need heart in center :D

6. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thank m8´s!!!

it´s not that big....only 29x29x29cm (lengthxheightxdepth)
    nearly the same size as our Wall-E Project...:clap:

Time for another update :D

In the last days we continued the work on the outer edges....and cut out the next center pieces....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after that we started to cut out the first parts for the inner shell...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I was simultaneously happy in my pants, and fell in love (again) at seeing this.

I want to order one, just in the charred-effect, everyone that's completed Portal 2 will know what I mean.

Subbed.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Holy moly another one :D, you guys are crazy :hehe: looking good mod on :thumb:.

9. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

++:clap:

:D you know ...there is always another one :thumb::rock:

np, orders were taken :D *notice for me - charred one for .//TuNdRa :D

thx m8`s!!

today its time for a small update :D

We already assembled the lower section of the cube...but it will look different to the upper part because its totally closed...so we had to add a few openings to all sides so that it will look like the upper half of the case....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then we cut out the first parts which will be used as support for the prepared edges of the upper parts ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then we prepared the inner edges of the lower part so that we can mount a midplate....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and we added a few drawer rails to the midplate...they will later be used to move the upper squares of the cube inside and outside so that we can open and close the case with a motor (better to say a few motors)

[​IMG]

10. starbee

starbee BRNO 4ever

i like portal, i like this

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cool more motorised madness :D:thumb:.

12. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Today it´s time for an update again :thumb:

After mounting the drawer rails on the midplate we added the supporting arrows for the upper parts of the case....just to see where we had to make changes (like the rails...which had to be shortened)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after cutting all rails to the correct length we started to assemble the upper part for the first time...(first test)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and at least we started to recycle the first motor from an old cd drive....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waynio likes this.
  13. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

This was a triumph

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I've wondered if thats possible to use a motor from an optical so looks like it is :clap:.

So is this going to mechanically opened by a button when tweaking the system or in need of more cooling, how very very cool +rep.

Think I need to mod more before I try stuff like that, still in my baby stages with modding :D.

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Just wow!!! Nice idea, perfect execution, this is modding!!! :)

16. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot my friend!!

it´s time for an update again :clap:

After our last update we started to disassemble a few other old drives to get their parts too, after that we mounted them for a first test on the midplate just to see how good it will work...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we put in the PSU for the first time....just to see how good it fits inside and to decide how we are going to change its look so that it matches more or overall theme....

[​IMG]

The next step was that we make the next raw cuts, when we opened the first triangles in the midplate so that we can route all cables (PSU, LED´s etc) through those holes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At least we prepared the first few RGB LED Stripes, which we will use to light the case up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Sweeeeeeet. I need to get into servos and motors. There's soooo much you can do with a motorized mod!!!

Subscribed!

18. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx!!!

in the last days we spent some time and did some "heart" work :D to make a new eclosure for the PSU. We thought a normal PSU would look like ******it inside a WCC, so we decided for a heart shaped enclosure for the PSU. We builded it out of few Plexiglas rests which we already had in our workshop.

Before we started we disassembled the PSU and take some measures. After that we made a first test heart out of some wood to get the right size before we start to build the real bottom plate out of Plexiglas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the right dimensions we cut out the bottom plate out of red mirror plexiglas (which brings a nice shine in the other parts).

Then we continued with the sideparts for the heart. For that we cut out a few Plexiglas stripes out of a structurized Plexiglas Panel and put them in our oven to make it warm and bendable.
    Then we bended the heart shape out of both parts...so that just the Top Plate was left for the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Top Plate was also cutted out from a structurized Plexiglas Panel, this time with little diamonds on it....due to those diamonds the Panel can catch the light really good and makes a really nice effect when lights are on....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. starbee

starbee BRNO 4ever

i like it, nice mod

20. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

You modded your PSU!!!! I WANNA MOD MY PSU NOW!!!! This mod makes me feel like a little kid in a candy store.