1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Fingers crossed Pete. How does one work for three years without being paid? - Riddle me that lol.

I hope it comes through.

2. Vault-Tec

Happy Sunday all.

[​IMG]

IanW, Pete J, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Works out to be just under 1/3 of my wages over those three years. Well, I'm freelance, so wages isn't technically correct :p I have a fairly low cost of living (my place is fairly cheap rent) And a lot of loans! (which the cost of will be going to the company I work for). They're a great company, and I love the other, otherwise I'd have walked away last year when I (finally) finished my degree, so I was free, but they've always been really honest and open about it, plus as one of the 3 principle engineers (and the only hardware one) if I left the company would have collapsed, and then there really wouldn't be any money! On the plus side, will probably have enough money for a house deposit out the other side of this!

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Small, purile thing, but it's making me giggle.

The official F1 virtual GP series finally cut their last 'normal guy' driver, Jimmy Broadbent, replacing him with a celebrity in the form of Luis Fonzi (Despacito guy). His fans have evidently taken umbridge at this and exacted revenge by re-writing Fonsi's Wikipedia biography to make him from Aberdeen. The re-write only lasted an hour or so, but it's still funny.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Found a service manual for the GBA that, although in what I believe is Spanish, has the fuse part number in one of the electrical diagrams.

Which means I don't need the sodding expensive one from Retromodding. It'd have worked out as expensive to buy one from them as it is to pay the absurd shipping cost for ten from Mouser..

6. Vault-Tec

Found this wonderful video on YT yesterday.

Now I don't need to buy a drone :)

Goatee likes this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I spotted my parents house twice in that video.

Really nice.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Yeah it makes me realise how much I love it here. I saw my old flat and my new one too lol.

Going out for a walk tomorrow. I've had two months of housework to do lol.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Great footage, nicely put together.

I, on the other hand; do need to buy a drone...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Aww man crap. I thought you just wanted another one :(

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thank mate.

No, it all went a bit wrong very quickly...

My buddy bless him, waded in to search for it, but no sign.

I HATE cold seawater, and am considering breaking out the wetsuit, mask and snorkel for 7.30pm low tide to see if I can find the bugger. If nothing else, I'd get my pics and 64GB micro SD card back.

It's not insured, and no one seems to have an orphan drone without the accessories for sale at the moment.

A pain, and sad but nothing in these 'interesting times'

12. Vault-Tec

First off, screw crap retailers. This nearly ended up in the polar thread ffs.

So I ordered a set of forks/ a fork on Thursday last. No one else had it it stock, this place showed one. I didn't really want chrome forks but they were the model I was after. So I ordered them, with a thought in the back of my mind that they screwed me over before. I tried to phone to make sure they were in stock, but there was a message saying they are only taking emails. I emailed then (last Thursday) to ask if they actually had them in stock and if not to cancel the order. I woke up today to this.

We have an update about your order for the Bone Deth Bottom Feeder Chrome Forks.

Unfortunately, we have been not been able to get hold of this from our suppliers as
    they have sold out and they will not be getting any more into stock.

Exactly what I knew would happen, and what I tried my hardest to prevent. OK, so now I'm really pissed, as they could have been honest and just told me last week.

Then I went to another site, who had the fork I was originally going to get, with £30 off.

[​IMG]

So I saved £20. Then I go to checkout, and apparently if you spend £99 you get a free Tshirt worth £15.

[​IMG]

I'll take that, ta :D

13. liratheal

I finally made a decision on the RS ECU situation.

The standard ECU can eat my backside. It's a pain to add stuff into, it's old, and it's missing at least four sensors I want the info from.

I'm going to buy a Haltech Elite 1500, a wiring kit for said ECU, and an old Focus ECU that I can take the connector out of to make my own adapter for most of the stuff that I won't be changing.

Which, of course, is going to be an extreme pain in the backside. But it does mean I can then make use of the Haltech IC-7 instead of the ancient dials. Which also means I can tweak the display like like the OCD asshat that I can be with stuff like that.

Which also means I can do away with the scangauge.

The only downside is that it's €2500, give or take.

Also my EK order shipped.

Last edited: 27 May 2020
  14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

More photography stuff, i.e. a tripod and a backpack. Giving my fiancé her birthday presents six weeks early was well worth it. She's buzzing with excitement and we'll spend quite a bit of quality time in the early mornings of the upcoming weekends taking pictures together.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

About a year ago, I tried to move broadband and home phone from BT at about £60 a month to Vodafone at about £20 a month. Got a retentions call from BT, offering me everything I already had at £60 a month for £20 a month on an 18 month contract. Obviously, I said yes.

Turns out that offer didn't exist. Took a bit of fighting, but after pointing out they'll have a recording of me verbally accepting £20 a month for 18 months I got the deal - actually, £28 a month for 18 months but with an £8-a-month rolling discount because, again, that offer wasn't actually a thing.

With six months or so to go, I got a letter: renew your contract for 24 months and keep the current pricing. I'd be stupid not to, so I'm now paying £20.24 - there's been a CPI increase since - for line rental, 60/17Mbps minimum broadband that actually hits about 81/21Mbps, caller ID, and the handy BT Call Protect that lets you add numbers to a blacklist. Happy with that!

16. liratheal

The GBA is modified, albeit slightly differently to the GBC, but both now have different power systems.

Or, rather, will, when the battery arrives for the GBA, and the mcwill charging board arrives for the GBC.

Then the IPS screens whenever China-originating post arrives.. Next year at this rate.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I've had stuff from China arrive within anything from three days (for 0 euros shipping no less) to six weeks.

liratheal likes this.
  18. liratheal

Same.

I have tracking numbers for the Gameboy screens, though, and they're going days between updates. I have another item coming (Replacement fans for the RX480), and it didn't update for two weeks - And it's still in China nearly a month later.

The backlog there must be absolutely crazy.

19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I had a silver ring I ordered from China the end of January was moving through February then nothing....it turned up this week four whole months later....

In all fairness it was now free as I'd got the refund in March.

For me, PAY DAYYYY!

Just finished paying the rent and usual bills....

[​IMG]

liratheal likes this.
  20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Cool breeze through the windows, Pepsi with ice, a bacon sandwich and I'm spending the day modelling and airbrushing.

****ing feels like bliss right now.