1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Ordered myself a new Octavia VRs today (in blue, as below). Now just got to wait 3 months for it to be built!

[​IMG]

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Very nice, I've always liked that shape. What extras did you go for?

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm after a little advice if possible. I'm really interested in getting a new car, quite fancy something quicker than my BMW 320d, but need something almost as reliable and economical for the time being whilst I'm in uni. So I'd like to upgrade to a 330d.

I'm not sure how to go about it though. I've got the money to buy a 330d of a similar value to my current 320d outright (roughly £3,500), but don't want to be stuck not being able to sell my old car. Alternatively I could sell my 320d first, but then might not be able to find a 330d I want.

I'm also struggling to value my 320d correctly. Looking through autotrader, prices vary massively for similar age and mileage cars. Mine's a 52 plate SE and has done 105,000 miles. It's got climate and multi-function steering wheel with cruise control, but only has cloth seats. It's the nice Topaz Blue colour which sets it apart a little from the normal silver. It's in great condition for its age, with no real dents in the bodywork, and everything is working. A big stumbling block could be its lack of full service history. Over the last two years I've done the servicing myself, and it only had partial history when I bought it two years ago. I payed £4,500 almost two years ago with 89,000 miles on the clock. Does £3,500 sound about right, or am I likely to get less? If not, then I might struggle to find a 330d for the same money.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would say lack of FSH (doing it yourself is fine, but you've got to record it with receipts etc) brings the price down a touch, maybe think about servicing it before you sell just to show that you're prepared to exceed recommended intervals - keep the receipt etc and show it to the new buyer.

If you can afford it I'd buy your new car first - that way you've plenty of time to find the right spec for you.

5. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Why do you need a 320d for uni?? Do you commute?
    lucky you.

6. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Cheers for the response. The car hasn't needed much doing to it. It had an oil change last week, and it's had four new tires in the last month. On top of that I've changed the brake pads and handbrake shoes, replaced both seatbelt pretentioners, removed the swirl flaps, changed the fuel filter, replaced a rear light that had shorted, and fixed a faulty boot release. Not sure I've got all the receipts though.

Nope, I don't commute, but I do make the 400 mile round trip back home to mid Wales on a regular basis. I was 25 when I bought it, and it was my first car. I'd saved money during 5 years of working in an architecture practice and decided to treat myself. Insurance wasn't bad at £800, so why not. I can now insure a 330d msport for £50 more than my current £650 (including declaring an engine remap), so I'm massively tempted.

I may hold off for another year or so, but by then my 320d might not be worth all that much. I am starting to get a bit bored of the performance of my mapped 320d. 175bhp and the big dollop of torque that comes with it was exciting at first, and it still pulls better than the majority of cars out there, but there's something missing. Probably getting a petrol instead of a diesel would fill that void, but without an income the price of fuel is a sticking point, and the 45+mpg figures of the 330d is a draw.

If I was guaranteed to shift the 320d without issue, I'd buy a 330d straight away; but I am very worried that I'd be stuck with the 320d and resort to selling it for less than £3000 in order to shift it. I've got some money left to me from my granddad, but I want to keep that to put towards a deposit on a house in the future, so spending £500 might be a mistake (it quickly goes once you start spending it).

Hmm, decisions. Anyone in the Lincoln area want to buy a 320d? :hehe:

7. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Sorry if I sounded jealous, it's because I am!

8. Krikkit

If it's really going to be an issue with your income etc I'd actually think about sticking with the devil you know. Keep it until you've got a regular wage, then the world is your oyster.

If you want something a bit more fun why not snap up a 205GTI for weekends etc? Cheap as chips to run, fix, insure (classic policy, limited miles) etc, and you won't lose money on the purchase price.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Just bought a BMW 630i....pick her up tomorrow so pictures coming soon. My first sports car so I am VERY excited....!!!!!

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

that Beemer is classed as an "executive Coupe", and not a sports car. That said - it is of the sportier variety. Nice ride. Did you buy new?

11. julianmartin

...sorry....! It's rather quick and rather sporty inside so it's a sports car to me...!

2nd hand. Depreciation on these things is magnificent.

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Just picked this up at the weekend

[​IMG]

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

any [X]30 Beemer is quite sporty. Those 6's are also sporty looking.

The depreciation on most sporty cars is a bit frightening.
    Executive cars as well, to some extent.

Around here (and our 2nd hand market is FRIGHTENINGLY expensive), Volvo's drop in value like rocks from the sky: a 2012 S60 T5 fully kitted with 5000 km on the clock (i.e. a demo) is cheaper than a T3 model new.

On the sporty side (and there aren't many sports cars here - mainly because people would rather drive a Golf GTI or a Golf R than, say a Toyota GT86, even though the 86 is 1/3 cheaper), it's possible to picm up a second hand RX8 for under the new price of a specced Fiat Punto.

14. julianmartin

Picked her up yesterday, BMW 630Ci. After 7 years of a peugeot 206 1.4, I am one very happy man right now!

[​IMG]

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

16. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Quick update on my project mini thing.

I spent the evening replacing the rusty old bonnet with a fibreglass one that I had just finished painting, and fitted it with pins instead of hinges. (please ignore my bad welding, and I'm sorry for the pics, only just finished and it's now dark!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, recently I picked up a set of 10" wheels, and have some 7.5" brakes on their way to me.

[​IMG]

The project rolls onward. Should I start a thread for it?

17. Krikkit

Yes. Project thread is definitely needed! :D

18. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Hokey, will start one later :)

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Love the rims; old-school rally almost.

20. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd