1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What game type do you prefer playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 3 Aug 2007.

?

What game genre do you prefer to play the most?

1. Adventure

15 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Beat 'em up

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. First/Third Person Shooter

165 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Real Time Strategy

45 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. MMO (no school)

19 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. Platform (old school!)

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Puzzle (back to school)

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Racing (driving school!)

17 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. RPG

57 vote(s)
    16.4%
  10. Sandbox

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  11. Simulation (virtual school!)

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Strategy

12 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

FPS, RPGs (though I normally only play square and bioware RPGs), and adventure/action games (such as zelda)

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I used to be big into FPS, but not much any more. And Diablo II and Warcraft III before that (oh D2... good times, why, Blizzard, did you have to murder my oh-so-profitable spambot?!). I've been sticking with slower-paced stuff along either the lines of Splinter Cell or 200-hour RPGs. Partially because I hate short-lived games, or at least ones with little replay value, and partically because I hate going out to look for something else interesting. The only RTS-type game I play now is Desktop Tower Defense, which gets hideously addictive, while I never get any better.

Glider, you still MUD? That's just pure awesome. I just wish they didn't keep mucking about with GCC so I could successfully re-compile my old MUD and host it off my phone or something.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

agreed

anyone playing DOTA here?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Third and first person shooters are essentially exactly the same thing but from a different viewpoint, which is why I suspect they're grouped together.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

third person games are never technical games. They never have complex gameplay like the FPS do and they mostly focus on adventure and/or shooting whatever's moving

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I ended up voting for FPS, but I play a lot of RTS and on console games a good deal of RPGs.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Splinter Cell?

If anything I'd say FPSes tend to be the simpler games in terms of character interaction with the environment and mainly focus on shooting anything that moves.

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I'd second that, third person shooters usually want me to be more tactical then first person ones do. Even Gears of War uses a lot more cover and stuff then something like Halo or Counter-Strike or most other FPS games I've played.

9. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I've been playing only FPS games lately, but platform games are still cool... (Commander Keen still has its place in my heart :D)

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I voted for FPS, but FPS is a conglomerate of sub-genres... there are tactical shooters, team-based shooter, twitchy-finger shoot-em-ups and a dozen other categories. I liked HL and CS:S and BF2 and others but hate manic games like UT and games like Quake 27 and Doom 69 et al.

I also like some RPG and some strategy games but hate RTS...

I guess I just hate games that are rushed over those that are considerate.

God, I'm getting old.

11. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Okay, this poll/thread managed to coax me out of lurking. I'm an MMO kinda gal, starting with some old MUDs and other text based BBS games. First real one was EQ in 1999, DAoC (for a month), WoW, EQ2 and Vanguard at present.

And um, hi everyone.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Hey thar!

Did you ever play the Discworld MUD?

I remember trying about 5 years ago but just couldn't get into it. I was only 16 at the time though I suppose. My patience pretty much limited me to games with guns and cars.

13. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Good or bad is alway in the eyes of the beholed/player or listener. The individual skills of the person making it has no importance to the person playing/viewing or listening. If you dislike something its bad and if you like something its good. Its not about recognising skills its about taste.

14. HollowFrank

HollowFrank What's a Dremel?

For me it depends on what medium i'm playing, on my PC i'm an RTS fan. Plonk me infront of a console and beat-em ups are what make me happy.

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Racing, however RTS/FPS are loves of mine too :)

16. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

Mostly play FPS but i do enjoy RTS for the change sometimes.

17. [WP@]WOLVERINE

I absolutely agree i love a few beers and a good round of Tekken or guitar hero on a console :) As much as i love a goood FPS or a RTS on pc or even a classic rpg or adventure. I love games not genres :)

18. HollowFrank

HollowFrank What's a Dremel?

I really couldn't disagree with you more, i think it's important to recognise great achievement or talent in a field even if it's not to your taste.

19. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Heheh, no, never played Discworld. If I recall the names were Arena and Swords of Chaos. There were a couple others but I didn't get into them much. I now play mostly with a group of friends met in EQ. Haven't ever played an RTS or first/third person shooter. Some arcade games, especially racing types, were a lot of fun plus Centipede and Tempest. Never got into console games, just PC.

20. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Of corse you sould always give cred to people that do great things but weather a thing is great or not is up to you and no one else. I can recognise the fact taht someone has done great things with graphichs, physics or anything elses in a game but at the end of the day its the games i choose to play that is the best. I think this has gone a bit off topic because all i meant was that if a game is good or not is up to you and your tastes and not to what genere it belongs.