1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple What OSes on your netbooks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by docodine, 11 Dec 2009.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I've tried a few OSes on my Eee PC 4G Surf, and here are my experiences so far:

Windows definitely was the easiest to use for me, though it was sluggish sometimes.. I nLited it to hell and it still only left me ~1.5gb tops after updates and such..

Crunchbang would be great if I knew how to use Linux better, it's fast and seems to do everything. The interface is ugly and I hate the boot screen.. Not very good use of my seven inches of screen sometimes.

And Android, ho ho. It's amazingly fast, takes 20mb total, has an amazing web browser... But it's built for a phone. I'm on it right now actually, and I wish I had a touch screen and accellerometer on my Eee PC... All the mouse work is backwards since it's built for finger navigation, but I'm getting used to it. Likely will only keep it for a couple days. I can't get AIM to work, so it's a failure. Very cool though, I can't wait to use Chrome OS..

My Eee PC is too slow for Eeebuntu, so I removed that pretty quick. If I had a better Eee PC, 900HA or something, I would go back to it.

What else have people tried on netbooks?

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I use ubuntu netbook remix on my aspire one a110. The 9.10 build is really good, much snappier (sp?) then the 9.04 version. I had linpus lite installed in the beginning but thats just a pain to use.

3. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

On my Eee 1000 I installed Eeebuntu right out of the box and kept it for quite awhile. Eventually my lack of knowledge with Linux killed it for me, especially since I couldn't get the webcam to work correctly and I use it every day. Right now I have Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7100) installed and it works great, my only complaint is the small hard drive space and the fact that AdBlockPlus makes Firefox extremely slow.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have Windows 7 RC on my eee901, a lot faster than xp was.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Win7 RC, too. Works a treat on an NC10.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just in the process of removing Win7 from my 1000H and going back to linux, Ubuntu was better experience overall even after up upped my RAM to 2GB to try and speed windows up.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I have mac osx snow leopard on my HP2140. Its pretty nippy too I must say!

Andy

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Using XP atm. want to learn linux and my netbook would be perfect but before I try anything I want to find time to experiment with a Linux VM on my main PC. After that ill probally try it out. How does windows 7 run on netbooks?

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

XP when it came, Leopard 10.5.7 for a while but no sleep and it's not a very good OS for netbooks. so now it's Windows 7 RTM with everything working beautifully.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Would Win7 run on an Eee PC 701? I don't think there has been a netbook with a slower CPU.. I haven't had the time to install something better than Android, how's the default Eee PC OS?..

Tags: