1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 10 licence

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dopeyman, 3 Jan 2017.

1. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Evening everyone,

I've just bought everything for a major upgrade cpu, mobo, ram and m.2 for OS, so will be having a fresh install of windows 10. On my previous system I did the windows 7 upgrade.

Do I now need to purchase a new copy or can I still use my w7 key?

I have tried googling it but can only find conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Yep you'll need a new licence. The upgrade is tied into the mobo. It maybe a case that you can ring microsoft and quote your original code and get it reactivated, but I'm taking a guess at that one.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2017
  3. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Ok cheers I'll give it a go, it's got to be worth a try.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I had a similar problem, so I had to ring Microsoft. They couldn't get my original product keys to validate (it had been upgraded from Vista to 7 to 8 then to 10), but I did get a discount so it was only £40 for a new license.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I recently replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM, following a motherboard failure. I used the online chat facility and, after much faffing and requesting proof of purchase for the motherboard, they eventually supplied me with a new licence at no cost. Always worth a try.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Changed my lads, mobo, cpu and ram a few days ago, windows failed to activate, 10 mins of faff free online chatting and was told to use his old win 7 key and activated straight away.

7. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Nice one, thanks everyone. Hopefully I will stand a chance of it working then. I'll download w10 to a usb and go from there.

8. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

So I've started the rebuild, in a new case ive put in mobo, cpu, ram and m.2. Fired it up, installed windows and reused my w7 key. Activated straight away so that's a happy result!

9. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm assuming your Windows 7 key was a retail key ? If so thats why it activated on the new build without any hassle at all.

With that said I've put various different OEM keys on different hardware configurations and they have always activated fine even when used on a different motherboard.

10. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Yes it was, I'm getting my money's worth from that. Got it when w7 came out 8 odd years ago!

11. badermans

badermans What's a Dremel?

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

13. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

Just to add to this, you can now tie your Windows license to a Microsoft account. So, in the event that you're going to reformat your PC, you can just readily have it activated using the medium.