1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 x64 Shutting at 13%

Discussion in 'Software' started by antipcw, 26 Jul 2018.

1. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

yes it can.

if you put in hirensbootcd and add .org at the end you will get a page come up, menu at top will have usb booting that will show you how to do this

2. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners
    Thanks so much for that. You're a star.

Will do that this evening when I can find a clear USB stick.

EDIT: Just got the download to my spare re-formatted USB

Last edited: 28 Jul 2018
  3. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

Forgive me for being a newbie.

I downloaded the ISO2USB.exe to the spare USB stick. I thought it contained the ISO file. So, where do I download this ISO file it's asking for?

EDIT: Ignore. I think I got it.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2018
  4. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded the ISO file named HBCD_PE_x64.iso, then ran ISO2USB.exe.It then copied 1.3Gb of that ISO to the USB stick.Selected the USB as first boot device, but all I kept getting was some error about 'Boot Mgr, etc., press Ctrl-alt-del to restart'

5. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

sounds like a damaged mbr, but it could be a number of things why. bios or you didn't format the usb stick correctly etc.

do you know if it has anything installed on the hdd or its formatted? you could try the following if it has windows on there to select.

you need to use your windows disk and boot into it.

1. Select a language, a time and a currency, a keyboard or input method, and then select Next.
    2. Select Repair your computer.
    3. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the drive of your Windows installation, and then select Next.
    4. At the System Recovery Options dialog box, select Repair your computer.
    5. Select the operating system that you want to repair, and then select Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select Startup Repair.

6. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

1)USB stick 16Gb was formatted first, then that ISO file from Hirens.org transferred to it using Hiren's own ISO2USB.exe
    2)likewise, the Seagate SATA 320Gb has been formatted too and displays 298.01 Gb when about to copy Windows files
    3)the other numbered instructions I will follow after once more re-setting the CMOS jumper.

Appreciate your help.

7. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

Okay, tried your suggestions. But came up with a message that Windows could not Repair The Computer. Error did point as you suspected to MBR.

So, removed the Seagate SATA 320Gb HDD and configured a master-slave WDC120Gb+LG DVD-R/RW boot setup. Unlike the previous time when the Windows 7 x64 installation halted at 13% on the same hard drive, this time it went right through to completion. Success, but I want Windows 7 x64 on a SATA hard drive, so connected the Seagate.

On re-boot, got the BIOS screen displaying this: ' Pri Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD,Backup and Replace. Press1 to Resume'

Is this pointing to that CEX-purchased Seagate SATA 320Gb HDD being faulty? If so, I'll take it back to them.

8. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

yes it does look that way.

to be sure as you have windows installed on a hdd you dont want to use, use it for now, connect the other drive sata as slave and when in windows you can do your hdd scan on it as you are having issues with usb stick.

make sure in bios it is booting to the hdd you have windows on (ide hdd i assume) and not sata.

so if it is faulty you can turn round and say i have checked it and it is faulty, or they could fob you off saying you havent connected it properly or configured it right blah blah.

9. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

when you have windows loaded, right click on sata hdd and click on properties. click on the tools tab and then select check this drive for errors.

10. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Brilliant confirmation of what I too thought.

Yes, good Windows 7 x64 on Western Digital WDC120Gb.

Will do as suggested for SATA but first want to check why underside of Asus P5Q PRO Turbo motherboard is getting warm using that Gelid Siberian PRO cooler.

11. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

Thank you mainly to you alone for all the help you have been.

Successfully installed Windows 7 x 64 to that Western Digital IDE HDD; installed all Windows Updates and just now Windows 7 SP1 too and antivirus, plus MSO 2007.

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo ran flawlessly(no overheating of the GeForce 9800GT that initially led me to believe it was overheating). Turned out to be the Gelid Siberian PRO CPU cooler as has been pointed out on Scan's website, was the problem as it was not sitting flush-on the Intel Q6600 CPU because the clamp at the back is partially blocked by Asus heatpipes.

Anyway, now all up and running. Just need to test that Seagate SATA drive

12. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

@jenners

Despite running HirensCD test, etc, CEX refused a refund/exchange on that faulty non-booting Seagate SATA hard drive as they insisted they test it themselves.

Guess what? They refunded it eventually.

So, to you and one and all here who chipped in with their advice, a great big Thank You.

adidan and jenners like this.
  13. jenners

jenners What's a Dremel?

glad you got it sorted.

no probs, glad i could help to some degree.

adidan likes this.
Tags: