1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Tempted by this too...but I have only ever done clean installs, so not 100% sure how the upgrade license works...

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Live launch event stream here.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Event starts around 49 minute mark as the W8 event is already finished. Up next is the Surface event.

AFAIK you have to install the old OS, then you start the upgrade where you can then do a clean upgrade (that is your old OS is used only for verification).

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Surely not? I would have thought you could just hand over the old XP key and download a new one?

5. Nexxo

Saw part of the event; it was pretty slick. It showed how the new GUI works and some sexy new hybrid devices running it. The message was: "Is this a new kind of PC? Yes. Is it also a tablet? Yes!".

The veiled message was also: "this is what the (estimated) 400 million new PCs sold in the next year are going to run. Developers would be crazy not to get in on the action". And they would be.

Lots of Apple-esque whooping and clapping. A definite audience reaction when the Surface was mentioned.

6. faugusztin

I talk about the upgrade process itself, not about the upgrade order :). That we will have to see tomorow.

By the way, i am liking the 29.99€ price for the upgrade.

7. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

A question for those running the RTM version of Windows 8 - do you have the option to add new features via product key?

I've got a key for Windows Media Center and would like to add it following the instructions here but I can't get the dialogue asking to enter the product key to appear.

I'm not sure if it's just my install or something to do with it being the RTM version which doesn't make much sense as I though it was supposed to be feature complete.

8. faugusztin

Surface event soon.

9. Nexxo

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

my fave feature so far

[​IMG]

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I missed it.. due to school. Will be watching it when it gets uploaded for streaming.

12. GoodBytes

While it might have a method, like Windows 7, where you do a clean install of Windows 7 with an upgrade license... assuming you don't. You simply install Windows XP (no need drivers, beside Ethernet to get Internet), activate it. Then insert disk of Windows 8 in Windows XP and start the setup form there. OR, boot Windows 8 disk, but don't format the drive where Windows XP is, and install it. In both cases, Windows 8 setup will move Windows XP into a folder called "Windows.OLD", and install Windows 8 clean.

If you have Windows 7 64-bit and pass to Windows 8 64-bit, OR Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 32-bit, But NOT Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit, the setup will transfer the programs installed and files.

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Can you delete the Windows.OLD when 8 is installed and activated ? IE i dont want any traces of XP or any other OS on my drive other than 8.

14. GoodBytes

I have the XBox Music Premium as well (aka: Zune Pass). By the way, you should be able to download and use Zune software to listen or download music in Windows XP, Vista and 7.

To solve your problem:
    -> Close XBox Music
    -> Make sure that your computer region is set to where you live. Win+S > type: region > select: Region

On the panel that will open, go to the Location tab. Select your region.
    -> Now start XBox Music, and wait until it logs you in. Once in, the ads should be gone. If not, log off of XBox Music (Win+I > Account > Sign-Out), restart XBox Music, and log back in to make it refresh.

Here is to download the Zune software (yes it works in Windows 8):
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/zune/software/download

Hope this helps. And, enjoy the awesome service!

15. faugusztin

geolimited service :waah:

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I must say for all my misgivings of Metro on a desktop. It's an impressive tablet interface, it really only makes sense once used with a hand held touch device. Hands down it has Android and Apple beaten in that regard.

The presentation was good over all I thought.

17. GoodBytes

Of course you can. The setup does it, so that you can access your old files and transfer everything appropriately as the setup basically did a clean install. However, you can't simply hit the Delete key. Windows put a lock against accidental deletes. So how to remove it? Simple. You use the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows, there will be a check box to delete the old Windows folder. Check it, click on next and done!

[​IMG]

18. GoodBytes

I agree, but they all are (or at least the ones available in Canada) :/
    Actually, if you take your laptop with you on a trip, I think it might still work. As I don't think it checks by IP, but rather what region your re in, and what your account credit card country is.

However, I have not tested this. So I could be completely wrong.

19. GoodBytes

20. GoodBytes