1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows XP SP1 "Gates Targets Pirates and stuff"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fly, 4 Jun 2002.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Microsoft have announced the details for Service Pack 1 for Windows XP. Among the updates already available for download since XP was released, it includes the framework for .NET and the option to remove some of the default MS products like Messenger, IE6 and Media Player. One of the other things it promises to do is disable to all of the copies of XP activated with a well known and used pirate corporate activation key, access to any more updates and certain functions within XP.

Seems like Bill is worried he might be running short of money and is hoping that the DoJ will be lenient with the promise to remove "middleware" tie ins within windows.

Opinions??

Read -:Here:- for more...

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

You will get cracked service packs ;)

3. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

there not going to disable anything....microsoft is going to allow all the pirated versions to continue running...but you jsut wont be able to install the service pack if it detects on of the illegal serials........it will only take a few hours before a cracked version of the service pack is available....

4. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

yeah i agree, there is no point stating things like that, it's like Counter-Strike, the linux server gets released then a few hrs later the windows one does, it will be SP1, then 30 mins later, Cracked SP1 :)

5. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

On the other side of the coin though, I think that finally we will have the option to remove what we like from the Operating System. Ironic though that the patch that allows us to free up some HDD space getting rid of the junkware will take up 44Mb in its entirety...

6. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

lol well i dont wanna get rid of anything really, i am happy with IE, i use wmp to play me DivX movies and MSN i use a lot too :)

7. :: Dugy ::

:: Dugy :: Turkey

quite a few bug fixes and security patches too I believe, thank god I've gone back to good old Win2k now ;)

8. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

tbh i noticed no difference between XP and 2k apart from the fancy graphics :sigh:

9. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

good good ;)

personally i'm cynical and probably over so, so i always download the network version (bigger inital dl but doesn't connect to M$ servers) and then disconnect when installing.... not quite sure why i do that though considering i'm using a legit copy of 2k... just don't trust em an inch in any direction :p

10. quack

quack Minimodder

I know what you mean Alaric, I do pretty much the same - and all my OSes are also legit.

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I think that XP is a bunch of bull, I won't upgade unless I get a new computer,although, if I do upgrade, I want to get rid of the "mac style interface (how low can M$ stoop...)."

12. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

i think its time for some people to stop being bitter towards microsoft and realize that xp realy is good......

does anyone seriousily think that xp is not better than any other ms os when it was first released....i know to many people that agree that xp is the best from microsoft yet, to take anyone seriousily that says its crap........

some might not have the hardware to run it properly and are getting probs from that, but no way is 2k or any other os, better than xp.....

13. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I agree!

14. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

cough dont update cough

15. afen

afen cyb0r p1mp

I think Windows 3.11 and 2000 is the best that they've com up with :) Windows 3.11 with multitasking would be nice.

16. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

lol 3.1, we used to have that one one of the school's old machines, i think the first os i used may have been 3.1 on a laptop butn not for long, win95 from then on :) hehe i'm so young :)

17. Medic6666

Medic6666 What's a Dremel?

Win2k all the way.

I had a legit version of XP on my PC and had nothing but problems.

I have now installed Win2k and have no problems, all my devices worked first time. All my games work without refresh rate problems.

And the service packs are already out so no waiting.....

It also seems to be faster....

I remember windows 1...... god how old am I :(

Medic6666

18. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey What's a Dremel?

Update?!

Whats that saying . . .

If it aint broke, dont fix it !!:D

19. Medic6666

Medic6666 What's a Dremel?

20. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey What's a Dremel?

win 1

I had a version of Windows ver 1 and the whole o/s fits onto one floppy, I could probably still find it somewhere!!
    :idea:

Tags: