1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WireDream claims audio boost with silver SATA cable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Mar 2012.

1. rikaldrey

rikaldrey What's a Dremel?

This can also be worn around your wrist so you can tirelessly **** at high quality sound of pr0ns.

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Huh? In a digital signal, the information being sent is completely removed from the condition and timing of the analogue carrier wave. If it gets there intact, it's perfect information.

3. Yslen

Nor I.

It's a bit like saying using a better quality PSU in your gaming PC makes the voice acting in Oblivion more convincing.

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Well if you use a REALLY crappy PSU there won't BE any voice acting in Oblivion.. ;)

5. sdc395

sdc395 What's a Dremel?

You're missing the point (and couldn't be more wrong if you tried). The point is that your typical DAC circuit is not "perfect"; its output is affected by the quality of the input (even if all the bits are intact). Do some reading.

6. west

west What's a Dremel?

@sdc395
    I think you're missing the point:
    Data stored on disks is stored in binary. if read correctly there is no "quality of input". You might as well be talking about the "quality of input" of your hard drive.
    Analog is not the same at all.

7. sdc395

sdc395 What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: I knew I'd regret getting involved in this discussion.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Because you are using wrong arguments unfortunately. If all bits are intact, then the quality of the input is perfect.

Pretty much the only place where you can have digital errors is when you stream without error recovery (your typical huge error blocks in DVB signal), the cable is too long (above maximum length allowed by specification) or the cable is damaged (not up to specification for the specific cable type).

The digital part either works or not. If not, you get damaged data, which is either corrected (CRC data integrity checks, for example in case of SATA or ethernet cables) or not - ignored and processed as is (streaming, DVB).

The other side of the DAC, the analog part can produce better or worse sound - but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

9. west

west What's a Dremel?

Ya can't learn without being wrong, no need to regret :p

10. Yslen

To save me some time, why don't you tell me specifically in what way the quality of a digital input affects the analogue output of a DAC? You can't just tell us we're all wrong without actually providing any facts to support your position.

As I understand it, the DAC produces output voltages that correspond to the original signal, with some interpolation. The fact that the output from the DAC doesn't quite match the original analogue signal is due to a) the sampling frequency/compression of your music and b) the limitations of the DAC. Both are entirely unrelated to the quality of the input signal.

11. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Good heavens - this is getting all rather militant for a tongue in cheek article...

:thumb:

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well greypilgers, what sdc395 said about the quality of the input if the bits are intact doesn't make sense from the electronics standpoint :). If "all the bits are intact", then the input is 100%. If the input is not 100%, then some bits were modified, and you are using a cable which doesn't conform to the specs for that cable.

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Oh My. Some idiot will buy the hype and get these. The same idiot that buys a HDMI cable from monster cables.

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

If you had 3k worth of HiFi you wouln't cut corners on speaker cable. It makes a huge difference to the sound quality......you woulnt pair a GTX 680 with a cheap low res LCD using VGA would you?

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

not to be a douche but actually that isn't unrealistic. first of all, low res is relative. people on these forums think 1680x1050 is small, when its really just average. on a resolution like that, VGA works fine as long as you don't care about the auto-tuning. but even technicalities aside, 2 GPUs like that could be used for GPGPU purposes instead of gaming.

i do see your point though and i agree with it (with the exception of the setup i described).

Tags: Add Tags