1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XARIG AQUA-SLI MKII - CPU Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xarig, 30 Jan 2005.

?

Which hard drive housing?

Poll closed 11 Feb 2005.
  1. Silentmaxx

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Aqua computer

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

Hey, credit's due buddy :)

Ok, so you ran the bolt right through the rad, I'll have a look at my rad when I revise my setup (read: transplant everything into my new YY0221 server cube ;) )
    Have you got some of that plexi left over? did you think about "frosting" the plexi so the LED's diffuse the light a little (this should give you a more uniform level of light through the shroud)

I hear you on the rad thing, $140nz for mine. At least when I discovered there was a hole in one of the barbs they RA'd it - no questions asked (and thankfully I had "breath tested" the seal on it before getting it full of water)

Looking forward to the next update.

2. Srjabardo

Srjabardo What's a Dremel?

dude, what kind of paint have you used to put your materials lok like the're metallic? i dunno the name of the specific paint

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Someone finally making silver and black look good together!

<A88>

4. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Does the chrome guy you used only do 'drop ins' or will they take posted items for work? The prices you quoted do seem lower than what i've previously seen - as mention by someone else. Have you got any contact info. for them?

Lovely work btw. :D

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

First off lemme just say great first job!

about your glow plexy spacer tho!

I originaly did this mod a few years back and repeated it again a while back in my worklog,

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=69594&page=7&pp=20

after a lot of testing i found they did nothing.....zip! i

what i did find that helped was running 2 of them with 2 fans in a push --pull setup.

But they did look good and i found a new way to get a nice even glow around blow hole fans :p :thumb:

6. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ thanks for your support. It's quite possible I first saw the idea on your project - unfortunately I can't remember everywhere I looked and may not be giving the correct credit where it's due. I leave it for you and Nexxo to argue about the value of shrouds, at least it looks nice :hehe:

I used a local company Northampton and Midlands electroplating they were pretty helpful, give them a call.

Srjabardo
    This is the stuff, I bought it from Halfords an automotive parts / supplies chain in the UK

[​IMG]

ebola_one - not sure that much credit is due -I think I didn't explain too well :duh: I DIDN'T drill through the rad - too risky - I just screwed into a bolt I had placed between the rad fins and the mounting point. :thumb: Frosting the plexi sounds interesting, how would I do that, just sand it with a high grade wet and dry? Not sure whether it would lose that clean and shiny look.

Another package arrived today from kustompcs they really are very promt! Just wish I had more time to get on with the modding :sigh: still the longer it takes the better it will be :eyebrow:

Last edited: 2 Feb 2005
  7. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Quick update...... I need your help / opinions, please :D

I've started a bit of work on the PSU... this is the monster....
    [​IMG]

A little cable sleeving required me thinks, nice chrome braiding, went quite well until I ran out of heatshrink :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

and some molex replacement:

[​IMG]

but......
    [​IMG]

Is the dark 'chromish' finish on this a problem? :waah: I can replace the grills of course to fit the theme but I'm worried about it being 'off script' with case theme. I guess It could have a trip to the chrome guy two, but is it worth it as I wasn't planning on having it visible (except at the back) hmmmmmm I'm also a bit wary of diving into a PSU.

Also I am concerned about the ability of this to cope with my proposed kit - are there sufficient amps on the rails - I'm afraid it's all a bit of a foreign language to me at the moment! :blush: HELP ME OUT FOLKS :worried:

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I think the PSU looks fine. Nice project so far, man. I want to see where this goes :)

9. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

mmmmmmm... goodness....

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

As long as it's not dual rail (or if it is, at least one rail is >20 amps) you should be more than fine with that PSU. In the stupidly long (~70 pages) discission an anand, stability problems were about 85% PSU (probably 75% dual rail 25% crapper among those), 10% over-OC and 5% bad board by my really rough guesses. SLI doesn't like dual-rail since the mobo needs a LOT of juice to provide 75w to each card not to mention probably at least that much if not more for the processor, and dual rails can't combine both on the mobo (great for servers where there's a ton of peripherals though)

---oooh... looking at the thermaltake page, it looks like dual 15a rails and then another 8a. I suppose the best thing to do is just try it... and if not get something with a massive single rail... I just ordered an Antec True550 EPS12v for my setup (A8N-SLI, plans for dual 6800GTs). It's great because the 8-pin 12v connector looks like it can be modded very easily into two PCIE power connectors and it still has another 4pin plug, not to mention a 24pin eatx connector.

I forgot what you said you were going to have if you did, but my guess is that it shouldn't cause a huge issue if it's dual 6600gt's but dual 6800gt's will probably have issues. Unfortunately the idiots at most PSU companies haven't figured out that dual rail is bad for SLI unlike the enthusiasts who got that much, and are coming out with new units that have two pcie plugs but are dual rail and marketed for SLI. A shame really.

Still, nice sleeving job :thumb:

11. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

:thumb: awesome, that was what I was after. When I said "ran the bolt through the rad" I didn't mean "drill holes in the fins and pass the bolt into that... yeah those water dribbles, squirts & sprays aid cooling no end" ;)

If you're after a clean, shiney look, then I wouldn't bother frosting the plexi.

But like I say, if you've got some spare, give it a shot.

I'd probably use some 600grit sand paper, you want to scuff it up, but not scratch it. Experiement with it, I've never done it myself, but will have a go when my time comes. (post results too if you don't mind :) )

12. rowan57

rowan57 What's a Dremel?

Totally worth it in my opinion, i hate doing anything by half and i think perhaps if you dont do it you will be annoyed by it later on.
    (Like i framed a pic but the frame had a little chip in the corner, only tiny, cant see it really, but it annoys the hell out of me cos it aint perfect)

Beatiful shiny pc :D

13. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I like it so far. Keep it up. :thumb:

14. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Ok folks, time for a small update. Slow progress due to a busy weekend I'm afraid.

I've completed work on the floppy / card reader drive. This involved more painting to rid the biege and bring on the black :D . I also wrapped the drive with 'chrome' although it won't really be visible in the case :duh: I also wanted to stealth the drive bay (
    ModSquad gets the credit for this idea from his awsome Black Narcissus). I'm pretty pleased so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've made the pics a bit smaller, to help out the dial up modders, let me know if you prefer larger pics.

I'm going to make some kind of stealth plate for the back of the floppy drive bay, most probably involving some rather tasty chroming :naughty: not original I know but very shiny = very nice.
    I'll need to start making some more purchases pretty soon for the project to progress. Comments / suggestions vrey welcome :rock:

15. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Nice to see another Akasa Eclipse being modified.

The colour on the inside look fantastic....really good job. :clap:

16. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the complement xz_ox , I've been keeping an eye on you project, it's awesome :rock:

Okay so I need to place my hard drives - a WD Raptor and a large
    data disk :D
    [​IMG]

I want to keep this rig as quiet as possible, so I'm looking to 'house' the drives. There won't be enough room in the drive bays due to the DVD and the aquatube. I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to get the tubing in without using right angles. I therefore intend to mount them on the floor of the case in line with the front fan.

[​IMG]

The question to you is which type of housing should I use?

This one which would rely on the airflow from the front rad fan to the rear exhaust fan:

[​IMG]

or this from Aqua Computer:

[​IMG]

Obviously the second option will require water cooling, do you think the two BIX rads with 120 fans and my Aquero 3.0 pump will cope with an FX-55, the chipset, TWO 6800GTs and two hard drives? If so how should I run the loop?

Answers on a postcard! I'll try to work out how to set up the voting bar.

17. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

nice case! i really like the blue plexi in the bottom andthe amazingly clean cuts in the top!

My watercooling cools my, cpu(2800barton), NB, x800pro, and 2 hard drives... you can see how my loop is set up in my project log (signature).

18. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Aqua Computer all the way, my vote for the AQ drive enclosure. I'd just like to point you in the direction of WizD Forums, they'll love this sort of project log, especially if it has Aqua Computer gear in it :D

19. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Hey Acid Burn, your mod rocks :rock: I was checking it out earlier today, couldn't quite work out the waterflow on your loop though.

20. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

I would go for Aqua Computer :rock:
    nice mod by the way :clap: