1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 Elite gets price cut, Pro phased out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Aug 2009.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

the 299 PS3 slim is a ten times better deal.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's always good to see prices drop. PS3 is still to pricey though.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Can't blame em, it's made of gold..:idea:

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Hopefully they'll leave the audio dongle, otherwise you'll still need to buy the official x-box hdmi cable just for that (if you want optical out to your sound system that is)

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Gold-plated HDMI cables, they're pointless. Unless whatever they're plugged into also use gold for all soldering, like the high-end stuff priced in the thousands.

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

for an HDMI cable.....seriously! is your xbox 100meters away from your tv?

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ok who on earth will buy the Arcade machine now?

Why not drop it altogether as there really isn't any point to it anymore.

8. sdc395

sdc395 What's a Dremel?

@ Horizon

What's the difference between a solder joint and a connector? Here's a clue; gold helps maintain the quality of one but not the other.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2009
  9. Lepermessiah

What? Bull crap, same as the 360 elite, with bluray, built in wireless, rock solid hardware? Far from too pricey now, the PS3 slim is the best deal out right now.

10. GravitySmacked

Yeah you're probably right for someone who hasn't got a 360 already.

For those of us who have one I still don't see it as a compelling purchase; inferior online service and not enough exclusives to make it worth while. I do keep toying with the idea of getting one but I just cannot justify it.

11. Lepermessiah

Newsflash, a tonne of people do not have 360's, but i do, and I want a PS3.

Not enough exclusives? BS, PS3 now has as many if not more then 360, and particularily, this year the 360 lineup is weak. Inferior online? Meh, not really, not by much, it is good enoguh for being free, it has come a long way. The exclusives argument was Ok 2 years ago, not so anymore, PS3 bashers need something new now. Really not much difference anymore in PSn and xbox live, only price.

12. GravitySmacked

Wooooah calm down there; I'm in no way a PS3 basher. I've been gaming for more years than I care to count and I'll play on any system I feel worthy. As for Sony I've had a PS1, PS2 and PSP in the past. In the house currently I have a 360, a Wii plus my gaming rig so I feel it fair to say I have no loyalties.

At the end of the day we are all entitled to our own opinions.

In MY opinion (and to be fair alot of the gaming media) the PS3's online service is still inferior to the 360's which is in turn inferior to the PC's and lets face it the Wii is pegging last.

Again in MY opinion there aren't enough exclusives on the PS3 that interest me enough to purchase one. Off the top of my head the games I would like to play would be the latest Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet (my daughter would love to play that as well), Wipeout HD and Resistance. Now 4 games does not make that system attractive enough for me to buy. All the other games I like to play are available on the PC and if not the 360.

And as for wanting one as I said if there were more going for it, i.e. more games, then I would get one at the current price. Drop the price a little more as we stand now then again I would get one.

13. AWowzer

AWowzer What's a Dremel?

Ps3 pricey? 360 elite does nt include wireless network adaptor which microsoft sell for rip off price of £60 when a top brand belkin/dlink equivalent costs £15. No doubt anyone buying 360 will buy this adaptor which already makes it £10 more than ps3. Plus ps3 has small matter of blu ray drive with cheapest blu ray players costing £150.

Also have read Naughty Dog has been able to make Uncharted 2 look so good because they have used textures 3 times the size they could have used on 360 with blu ray disc having 3 times capacity of a dvd. And thats just a single sided blu ray. Double sided could have used 6 times size. Textures never need to be compressed and lose quality on ps3.

Looking through Edge's top 10 titles coming for 360, most of them were being released on all platforms. The ps3 top 10 had mostly exclusives.

Better lineup of games, actually cheaper, plays blu rays which look amazing and upscales dvds well, 360 does nt upscale dvds and is noisy. Can upgrade hard drives without being ripped off

14. GravitySmacked

Sigh, you folk carry on.

15. Elton

Could you be any more wrong? Both consoles in terms of textures have terrible quality. A blu-ray isn't going to solve a weak GPU.

That is not a legitimate reason for either to be better or worse, exclusives don't mean good games, and I can tell you that this is basically an opinion. In other words, you're just spouting random fanboy nonsense.

Perhaps the DVD part and the blu-ray argument might be acceptable, but upscaling DVDs isn't an important function and Blu-rays are still too expensive. And at $300 a pop, I could buy 2 Blu-ray players. :eyebrow:

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Elton is a school kid i guess?

upscalling dvds is a massive function for 99% of people i know who went blu-ray. Awowzer actually makes a decent point. in reguards to the games. I own all 3 consoles but as it stands. What you have to buy to make the elite usable for somebody like me is rather insane.

console
    wifi ( nearest pc is 20 meters away)
    hdmi cable ( you must buy MS version from what im reading around due to audio issues)
    xbox live subscription
    You would also need a 2nd controller truth be told. + the Charge kit for the controller unless its included these days ( i had to buy mine seperate)

For a console that has a 50% failure rate. As ive said before PC for life( at least if it fails i can fix it myself without the 1 month return wait) People who say the new consoles dont fail is sprouting crap as well. im on my 3rd elite now. I know m8s of mine who promised they would never buy another MS console till they have confirmed failure rates below 10% again. Like wii and ps3 do.

Blu rays expensive were do you live? HMV sells them at the same cost of the dvd version for new releases around here. Play.com will do even better.

Wonder what hardware the next gen of consoles will have in em. Problem for consoles now is you cant really make a profit on the console sales unless you use years out of date hardware.(wii)

Think big problem in the future will be how much are people willing to spend on a console. Did sony find the sealing cap with the ps3 when it was at £400. It still sold but only to the few who could afford it / wanted a blu ray movie player ( was still cheapest blu ray movie player in england on release) 360 £300 sold better but the Wii at £180 destroyed both. People write the wii outta this console wars but its the true winner. Nintendo have never made as much money id guess.

If sealing cap is £400 and Hd is the future. Whats the current gen of pc hardware required to get games to run at 1080 full hd. And can it be made to happen below what most people consider to expensive for a console seeing the views on this site. Or will we return to great games and avr graphics were consoles really should be at. Id rather have 200 great games than 200 good looking games.

17. Elton

Fair enough on the Upscaling thing. But I don't see your argument for the 50% failure rate, MS covers it now, and if you think the PS3 is godly reliable, think again, it has problems, quite a few of them, however it's not as widespread, above 10% actually as most who bought the 60GB have had bricked consoles.

As for the Blu-ray, I'm speaking of B&M stores, those do overcharge, and hopefully it's obvious that more people go to a B&M store than E-tailers these days.

As for the Wii, they make more money out of peripherals than anything else. And for sure the PS3 was the cheapest blu-ray player, but you have to remember, the 360 is still cheap enough to warrant a purchase.

Mind you the Arcade is a terrible deal, but it sells, as for the 50% failure rate...well I've explained that, the Wii though does seem to be quite reliable.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I have an Elite w/o the wireless adapter. I don't miss it one bit. Assuming that everyone buys one is just silly, sorry.

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

just out of interest, where did you get that bit of info from?

I've tried 3 different hdmi cables on my elite (one was the supplied one) and there's no audio difference at all.

20. Lepermessiah

10%? You pull a random figure out of your butt? Post a link or STFU. The PS3 is incredibly reliable, has more features, just as many if not more good exclusives, I would not be surprised to see it, now with the price drop take off.

Tags: Add Tags