1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox Live Video Marketplace launches in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Not for me I think. For example those films mentioned on SD can be bought for £3 anyway. Might as well buy them instead of renting them.

How do the prices compare with the likes of blockbuster etc??? I dont know as I dont rent movies.

Renting sounds a good idea for those that do rent and probably the best way for it on Xbox 360 because if they are for keeps, then you probably only get 2 films on your drive and then your screwed. Unles you got an elite and can get a few more.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

its about time the UK got this feature, every though its old if you live in the US.

but 24 hours to finish watching a film from start..... so that should mean if i download it night and don't watch it for a year, i should be able to watch it still as i've not started to watch it yet... that aint so bad, but i think the prices are a little high compared it what they pay in the US for there points

4. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

I believe you have two weeks from purchase, or 24 hours from start to watch the movie. I tend to rewatch my movies so I'll stick with buying discs for now.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"and that once a film is downloaded users only have a set amount of time to keep the film for"

IMO this is not for me, i would rather buy the real dvds first hand or second hand.

this would be awesome if it were like < 15€/month for an all you can eat service and they would still profit (xbox live would become very very popular and movie studios would profit from people that would never buy their stuff).... add to that a torrent like system that can be tweaked by the user in terms of upload bandwith but not deactivated and MS would not need an insane amount of bandwidth.... and plus they could put on ads on marketplace for movies and games and other stuff and have a big profit (and help lower the monthly fee to a stable level of profit)..... fools:rolleyes:

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Just out of interest, what is the average size of SD & HD movies using this service? I'm guessing a couple of gig for an SD movie, maybe 4-5Gb for an HD movie, right?

Any ideas what the quality is like?

7. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

HD in the us runs 3-6 gigs and is usually (every one ive downloaded) 720P with 5.1 sound. the image and quality are good in my opinion. One bit of advice dont start the movie until it has Completed downloading. The second you start the film your 24 hour counter starts. We thought our bandwidth could handle downloading and watching the movie along with all the other net trafic associated with 5 college students ( like we do with tv shows) but that was not the case and by the time the film finished we only had 4 hours to watch it. ( our connection in this hick town is slow and often drops)

I think the services is good for what it is. Not everyone will use it but for those who do they will get their monies worth.

8. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

Yeah standard def movies are about 1.2-1.5 GBs, while HD is about 4-7 GBs from what I remember. I'd rather rent them on a physical format than waste my bandwidth. Postage rental schemes like Lovefilm are much more attractive as you can keep them as long as you like.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Reasonstoget360 = Previousreasons + 1

<A88>

10. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Out of interest, are subtitles available?

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Just seen whats on there, they are really old films of films I already got on DVD. I dont see that wrth while, wheres the new releases???? Wheres Transformers, Rush Hour 3 etc???

Oh well, something I wont use

12. Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San What's a Dremel?

So this is just for people who haven't heard of bittorent right?

<sigh>

Until a good service that has ALL films, old and new, for a decent price, 50p sounds good if it's 'renting' (the cheek) - then I'm sure people will continue to use Pirate Bay.......

13. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Yh true (bittorrent)
    But lower the prices and then maybe i'll use it

Tags: Add Tags