1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

yes.

like nursing, or firefighting, or policing.

2. IDave

IDave What's a Dremel?

Maybe that's coz you suck at them!

There's no greater thrill than outsmarting another person. Where's the fun in beating a load of computer code at a game of wits. If your idea of achievement is to beat a load of pre-programmed responses then it's probably best you stick to the single player campaign mode. Maybe you should turn the difficulty up to "Hard" and then you can be really challenged!

These guys are super-human, and can do things that the rest of us normal people could never hope to. People just dismiss it because they don't want to confront the fact that they can think and act far faster than us and we find it hard to come to terms with the fact that some one else is just plain better than they are.

I hope that SC2 turns out to be fun for players of all levels of skill, I'm certainly no pro-gamer myself, but do enjoy the challenge of pitting my wits against another person and seeing who comes off best.

I also don't think your avergae gamer should be worrying about APM. You should more woryy about doing the right actions rather than how many of them you can squeeze into a minute of gaming time.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If they're super-human I'd rather have them putting their intelligence towards quantum research, of their dexterity towards being a heart surgeon, or their quick thinking towards being an air traffic controller. It really is an awful lot of time and effort being dumped on to playing a game.

Of course, my thoughts are that all professional sports are quite silly. Nothing like training a highly skilled and talented athelete to do nothing more productive than stick a ball in/through a net.

4. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

These guys are not superhuman, I played sc after school for almost 2 years, 5-6 days a week, because it was fun, and I probably got up to 200-250 apm, if that first guy in the vid is at 300, its like anything you practice you get better, its repetitive action, not something that requires alot of difference, basic build strategies almost never change, good armies are almost always similar, it's not something that in the end, in my opinion, is out of the reach of anyone on this forum, you put a couple years into it you can top leaderboards as well, I used to back in SC, but it got boring, like some have said, it became work, instead of fun. At that kind of speed, it all becomes reaction, you dont have to think of strategy, because in the end, strategy was relatively limited at the high end like that.

5. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Do tell what field you work in that makes you so condescending. I guess it does't matter since you are quite obviously a huge idiot.

I am generally not a huge RTS player but I don't think being able to send 300 actions is crucial to being good in your public multiplayer game. You can still have have an average APM and do quite well since shock horror the game actually requires a superior strategy to your opponent to win.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually, in the high end, strategy kinda became moot, since all one needed at the point of being professional was just being faster.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This, pretty much.

Unless I can specifically play with friends, but still I find the many minutes investment in a game before losing feels like a waste of time. :(

8. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have seen some pro-level SC games and its ridiculously fast but I guess once you are at that kind of level peple know all of the standard strategies and counters. But I was restricting it to just jumping into public multiplayer game. It's not too difficult to get good against your standard players. It's no different to any other multiplayer game, just invest the time and you will figure it out.

That said, those Koreans are in another league.

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

What is mind boggling here is that they are strategizing continuously as well. If ever they invade any country these guys will be doing it.... at 300 APM... Single handily controlling the entire army.

Also razer mice suck... with the little abuse mine has received with a simple shooter, I highly doubt they are getting any amount of good life out of one with those crazy frantic OCD clicking-thons they are putting them through.

10. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

sorry to say this to you ...but all multiplayer games are like that ...having good knowledge of your abilities and performing them in timely manner so you can defeat your opponent. That is why there are different skilled people playing these games, there are some who invest tons of time, there are others who don't. Also You can always play against AI or Coop with friends if you think ladder games are too hard for you. Everyone can enjoy the game, you don't have to be a korean SC champion. This article is more like a pointless whine to be honest.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm completely the opposite. I can't stand playing a game and wait for the story to unfold or whatever. I want instant action, all the time.

Needless to say my gaming would suck if my internet were to be cut permanently tomorrow

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I completely agree, but that doesn't happen in RTS.

I loved playing quake 3 instagib at 200% speed, but the servers were hard to find. I learnt how to avoid blinking for 10 minutes a match. :D

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

hah, nice :D

I never was a StarCraft player but I have been having a crapload of fun so far when playing with friends ! I am pleasantly surprised to be honest. Playing a 3v3 with friends on teamspeak is never boring and there is always plenty of action

Great investment so far

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You'll never be good at it because since the last Starcraft, you are no longer a no-lifer. No-lifers of today that are curious and ultimately enjoy the game will be the new "good players".

15. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I had a couple of quick games against Mr Buttler here on the evening of launch day. Having only done the first two campaign missions, and not played any skirmishes, I really got my arse handed to me. Twice.

I hadn't even seen the Protoss yet and they were tearing down my defences. Also, the destructible parts of he cliffs were news to me (and subsequently how I quickly lost game two).

I'm not ready to give up though. It's all about finding a player who's at your skill level. If you don't have an even playing field, it's not a challenge for the victor and it's no fun for the looser. I don't play Harry at CoH any more for this exact reason. There is no point.

RTS games are where this effect is exaggerated the most.

More campaign and comp-stomp for me first.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Edge did an article on Starcraft tournaments a few issues ago. Interesting read. These guys are gods in S Korea and people aspire to them in the same way Brit kids will aspire to Beckham. Just a different culture.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

RTS multiplayer is definitely one of the less forgiving genres. As mentioned earlier, unlike an FPS where you're back in the game 2 seconds later, it's a lot of time to invest in losing.

Also, your choices are much more limited in an RTS than you realise. Basically you have to play as fast as you possibly can, or you will be left behind in troop numbers and tech trees, and that's just a fact of life.

I tried Age of Mythology back in day: I beat the SP on hardest difficulty setting but would constantly lose online because I play with an APM of about 30 - 50. I just don't find it fun having to play any faster, and no amount of clever strategies is going to make me competetive at that speed.

18. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

It just happens to be a very sad culture. I don't care how much money they get paid - if I was Korean I would be embarrassed. Hmm, I wonder why there are so few world class Korean athletes? Sorry, I can't see Starcraft catching on as a "sport" anywhere where people actually like to have a life.

19. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Why is professional gaming any different from professional sport? Professional gaming is as sociable as professional sport: tournaments are played in arenas and teams practice together. Both contribute little real value to society other than money and enjoyment to the spectators. Even the health benefits of professional sporting compared to gaming is negated when you consider the number of sporting injuries professiona athletes suffer. You don't hear of Fatal1ty breaking his metatarsal.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll be playing it online, but I expect to get trounced. my APM is nowhere near those guys that appeared in a recent Razr mailshot, and the video above. ~300APM?

I'll stick to "being able to survive" APM :p