1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays ZR24W Grainy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 8 Aug 2010.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hi

I have just received my 3rd ZR24W monitor from RMA.

1st one was clearly someone elses RMA as the box was hammered and even had a RMA label on it.
    2nd one had a severe backlight bleed issue.

.....and now the 3rd one, back light bleed is reduced (and no blue tininting in the bottom right like the 2nd one) but everything just looks grainy. I know IPS monitors have this anti glare coating but I don't recall the other two being grainy like this.

Anyone got any ideas, could it be a something to do with the way I have it setup?, I really don't want to be rma'ing it again :(.

Should have bought the LP2474W like I was going to in the 1st place.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sounds like the normal Ag coating on the 24" LG IPS panel to me. Maybe they've recently changed it. Is this one the same version as the old ones?

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

As far as I know it is yes.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

To be honest, having this much hassle with the display already, I'd just try and get a refund and buy something else instead. And even if it is the anti-glare coating, you shouldn't have to live with a display that looks grainy. What shop did you buy this from btw?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If the others were not like this, then all I can suggest is that there has been a change in specification, which manufacturers are entitled to do without notification.

Many of the recent 24 to 30inch IPS panels have this very aggressive coating. The Dell 3008 had it.. like a frosted glass, glittering/shimmering.. sparkly effect (best way I can describe it). It is listed as using the Phillips/LG LM240WU1 panel, which is a S-IPS 72% NTSC panel, but they may have revised it to use the LM240WU7 which is a e-IPS panel of the same specification, gamut width etc... but uses a different AG coating more similar to the ones found on the LM240WU4-SLB1 used in the Dell U2410.

If you're not happy, just RMA it for a refund.

Is there no chance you could get used to it? Many people do. Personally, it drove me mental, but others don't seem to notice it.

6. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

Hmm.. I wouldn't describe mine as grainy at all. In fact I can't say I can see anything I could describe as grain. I love it, it's a fantastic screen! But I reckon there's an awful lot of personal taste in something like a monitor and I also often find that, if I've had problems with something (with all the hassle of returns), I feel super-critical of the next one along. I think the best thing to do in these cases is switch to something completely new - I have a feeling you'll never really feel completely happy with it. And feeling happy with your screen is vital imo.

I believe there are different coatings on IPS screens. My laptop screen looks glossily smooth, if I think about it. But not in a particularly good way, to be honest (though it's well reviewed as a laptop screen) and it's massively reflective to my eyes. Nothing looks even one tenth as good on that as it does on the HP. Photos and things look much more real on the HP. I have zero backlight bleed.

This is definitely an area where personal preference is all!

Caroline

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would go for the U2410. I'm very happy with my 3.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I bought it from ebuyer and they have been very good with the RMA's, the 2nd RMA was a bit of a pain as I had to send it back without first receiveing a replacement leaving me using an old 1280x1024 for a week.

I think I will get onto HP tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

I was gonna go for the U2410 but the incidents of tinting problems put me off, wish I hadn't read up so much on it to be honest then I would have ended up with the U2410 right from the start.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yea, the issue seamed (as their is no longer any reports), to be solved with October 2009 and newer manufactured displays. As for the dithering issue on Adobe RGB and sRGB profile it's been solved in A01 revision of the panel released in December. For A00 users, you can: Use custom profile and have fun matching Adobe RGB color profile (it's very close to the eye by default), or use Dell recall, which Dell will send you a refurbished monitor with a pre-paid shipping label for you to return the old one to them free of charge in the same box that you got the refurbished one.

But be warned, that the U2410 does have a grainy image as well. However, it's not very, in my opinion, noticeable, unless you are very up-close, or pay attention to white background. Meaning, unless Dell has changed, I got quickly used to it (well I don't have much choice in any case, is I am anti-glossy screen guy)

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My U2410's are the A00 and I haven't had any of the problems that you have stated.
    I am also sat about 1.5 feet away from my monitor and have not notice any such grainy image.
    If anything I find the colours and picture quality better than my 3008wfp.

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I know mine is a little grainy. My last monitor was glossy coated... so a little adjustment needed, but if you aren't getting used to it...
    I guess it depends on how much it annoys you as to whether you RMA again?