1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Zv2 Desk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zondorf, 5 Aug 2019.

1. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

So I built a Custom Desk for myself a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

It worked somewhat well but wasn't easy to work on, change components and ran slightly higher temps than a regular gaming chassis but hey it looks cool, right?

Anyways I decided it was time to build something new and push the build further than the last one.

After a couple of hours planning and drawing on autocad 3D I came up with this design.

[​IMG]

Rendered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm undecided on the color scheme that I will end up running but I rendered in those colors since I liked the look of it.

I decided to build the bin (major component compartment) out of alloy as I have never really worked with it before and thought it will make for an interesting challenge.

First thing was to cut the bin on the plasma.
    I decided on using 2mm General Grade Aluminium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finished the bending and test fitted the first 360 Rad to ensure everything lines up correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting and bending I noticed that 2mm was probably a bit too thin and 3mm would've likely been a far better choice.

Then I added some more components after cutting and bending the separator plate.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start the main standing structure which is to be built out of 50x1.6mm MS Square Tubing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached the bin to the legs to check the height and ensure there will be sufficient strength in the main structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to add some strengthening beams underside the bin as the Alloy is a LOT softer than I anticipated.

[​IMG]

Next was to manufacture the false floors for both sides of the bins, the purpose of which is for cable management.

I added the cut outs for the standard fan connectors as to hide all fan cables.

[​IMG]

No fan cable in sight.

[​IMG]

Next up is to weld the bin and main structure up completely and then move on to component mounting, I still need to get my hands on a old PC case which I can strip for a donor case for the IO plate and Motherboard tray.

More to follow

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Who?
    Great stuff. Also, there's this guide. I've always just dropped a dead board in and traced the hole pattern and stuff. An old mobo tray will look odd in your desk too.

3. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

Thanks I will look into this, since I already have a false floor in it can double as the motherboard tray.

4. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

Quick update, I got my hands on a IO panel from an old Server case

[​IMG]

Then I drilled and tapped the tray for the motherboard standoffs

[​IMG]

I proceeded to cut out the cable entries in the tray and cut the IO panel section out and mounted everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not completely satisfied with the cable entry cut outs but will fix them up nicely once I get some consumables for the dremel.

5. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

Update, I started work on the other end of the bin where I will be locating the HDD's, so I made a simplistic plate to mount the drives to and then the plate will be attached to the management tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial plan was to have the plate exposed as is but I decided against it as I wasn't pleased with the outcome.

So I decided to make a vented cover for the drives and added a small homage to my favorite game series.

[​IMG]

Bent, welded and fitted.

[​IMG]

Up next was to make the rear cut outs for the PSU Ventilation, and entries for power and network.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That basically concludes the manufacturing on the metal work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is to strip it all down for powder coating, once it's back from powdercoating work on the wood top will start.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Niiice. :D

7. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

Powdercoating is back and I can't be happier with the finish. Took some explaining as to what I wanted in terms of colour and finish but it was definitely worth it.

Just have to point out that the grey looks very white on the photos but still a fair indication of what it looks like as it's similar to "Audi grey".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get my hands on the required sized pine sheet.

[​IMG]

Marked out and ready for cutting.

[​IMG]

Quick test fit to ensure all dimensions are correct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came notching of the front corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another test fit.

[​IMG]

Lots of sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes for the Power and Reset buttons.

[​IMG]

Ordered the 6mm Glass top and routed the notch but didn't take any pics but snapped some pics with the glass in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on getting the glass slightly tinted (like 10% which will add a nice effect and some strength).

After adding the glass I decided to add hinges to the desk top and possibly add air shocks (purchased but unsure if I will use them).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the shoddy pics, by no means any good at photography.

Up next is further sanding and staining the wood, then I need to add protective coating to add a hardened layer onto the soft pine to make it more durable.

Cheapskate likes this.