1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 2400G passive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legoman, 20 Sep 2018.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Well, ish, new kits piling up and debating some silliness

Ive a 2400G with RAM and Mobo just waiting on a cooler backing plate and it stuck me, the TDP of the CPU is 65W + GPU.
    If I turned off a core on CPU it would reduce the thermal load with no real issue to me, an I may be able to do a bit of under volting. What do we reckon? Cooler in question is this which is meant to be able to deal with 200W TDP. http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/64/true-spirit-140-direct

Note I will still have a pair of low RPM case fans for board airflow purposes so they will help move the coolers heat anyway.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I know a Le Grand Macho can handle 65W TDP passively, I don't know about the true spirit, though maybe it'll be OK with the case fans. Only way of knowing is testing. Worst that'll happen is CPU throttling. You could always try just undervolting instead of core disabling.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think that if the 2400G is going to be the main source of heat in the system the most effective place to have a fan is generally going to be on or very close to the heatsink. Unless you have a clean tunnel for the airflow, going with full passive with two low RPM case fans won't really make sense. You be better off with exactly the same setup but having one of the case fans on the CPU instead.

I'd use all 3 fans and tune them for the best balance of noise/performance.

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Thats a big ol cooler!

The rear case fan is about 30mm from the back of the cooler so that should work, the air is being drawn in from in front and above downward. Its a Fractal Core 500 so there should be lots of airflow available.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Some of the decent fans nowaday are that quiet it seems pointless going passive imo, especially if you're already going to have other fans in the system anyway.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As above. Fanless is pointless unless it’s truly fanless. Just grab a good quality fan and you’re fine. The stock cooler is good and quiet for what it is.

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

You can always try and let us know how it turned out.