1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

56k Woes

Discussion in 'General' started by BrokeEnthusiast, 25 Jun 2005.

1. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

Ok so I have moved in a small house with my brother for the time being. But where we are located there is only 56k dial up...... Comcast will not come out this far and Dish is way to expensive.... So what should I do. I cant stand dial up so I go to the library and get online every now and then. just wondering for some suggestions.Should I annoyComcast till they come out here or what? I need youre suggestions!!!

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

SBC yahoo DSL, it comes strait out of your phone line so you only nead there modem. Its broadband so you can be on the internet and phone and best part...its fast, oh and its what I use also.

EDIT: post number 555,woot.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

What internet connection is the library using?

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Id say suck it up. Im on shared 28.8k for goodness sakes :rolleyes:

5. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

ARG!!!! thats almost the dark ages there roto. Back to the topic. is there ant sort of wirless hot-spots you can tap into BrokeEnthusiast?

6. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

DSL will only work if your ATLEAST 18K below the CO distance and that's not even garanteed depending on the house/street copper lines which maybe be able to carry a phone signal but a dsl signal is at higher frequency.

The only thing I can suggest is Sattelite, I think you can get it for 120 bucks??

Other than, 56k sucks man =(

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Move

8. BrokeEnthusiast

Well bellsouth offers DSL in our area. But I was wondering if i get it for my computer can I hook up my router and 9not tell them) and get it to my bros computer also? instead of paying for their "networking capabilities"

9. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Ya, thats what we did.

10. BrokeEnthusiast

What do you do on the other computer to make it work?

11. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Nothing, I plugged the modem into the wall plugged the comp into the modem and set up the modem. Unplugged the comp plugged in the wireless router into the modem plugged in the comp to the router set up the router unplugged the comp. Stuck in some wireless cards in the two comps took them to there apropriat(SP?) rooms set up the cards on both comps. Then finaly the cards auto recognised the router and I was on the internet in no time.

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

hmmm believe it or not I actually think 28.6k or whatever modem isn't THATTTTT bad .. providing u are doing something else like watching tv aswell lol :D

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

more like writing an essay, having a shower, doing the food shooping and cooking you dinner :hehe: then watching tv while you eat your dinner and wait for the webpages to load ;)

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

You mean that some ISPs actually try to charge for having more than 1 comp connected?

That's rude! I purchase bandwidth. What I decide to do with my bandwidth is up to me.

15. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I don't really think there are much oppurunities left lol ... either live with it or move basically ...or save up for that satellite connection which i think will cost loads :jawdrop:

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You could try dual 56K, multiplexing or something, which is combining 2 56k into one connection. But this requires another phone line and 56k connection, which will cost a fair bit.

I guess we in the UK are lucky we are a small island, so that most of the country can have broadband as there isn't so many exchanges to upgrade, where in the US there's probably too many! - 99.6% is the coverage figure in the UK

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Yeah, shame it comes at a price though!

I would have a scout around, see if any companies offer a DSL or Cable service in your area, there must be one! Yes, getting a router is not only great for sharing the connection between several PC's (depends how many ports it has) it also gives you some added security :D

18. BrokeEnthusiast

I think were going to go with the DSL but are the speeds good enough for online gaming and stuff(how do they compare to like comcast users?)? or just a step faster than 56k? because it still has to go thru the phone line (and we can use our phone at the same time)

19. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I would recommend setting up a wireless access point on the edge of the high speed service area, perhaps at a friends house, and then use a high powered directional antenna hooked up to a WiFi card.

Here's a couple of guides

20. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Hell ya its fast, I play halo/globaloperation/tribes vengeance/other all the time!!

EDIT: I did a test a long time ago of my speed, let me go find it. All I remember was that it was pritty high.

EDIT2: Found it.
    The test is here,

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=1

My results,
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest...812f467c17b;3.0;www.dslreports.com/1119900370

As you can see I am breaking the 1mbit barrier with 1203kbps download and 312kbps upload. You can compare me with others in my area here,

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/swbell.net?zip=73034&start=Search

Other poeple in the world,

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/swbell.net?s=1203&r=88

Defenitly faster than dialup!

Last edited: 27 Jun 2005