1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 700W to 850W PSU Group Test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Interesting read, but at first I thought YOU had that kind of testing hardware...impressing.

Modular is getting better and better, IMO I'd like hiper-style, plugged on the back as with all the nonmodular ones.
    Efficiency is quite important nowadays, with energy prices going up you have to be environment- friendly.
    The best thing still is a laptop, at 65W it's far better !!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Efficiency is absolutely essential, because at 80% efficiency with an 800W PSU you're using 1kW :eeek:

This is also why laptops are getting far more popular, like you say.

The Hiper modular plugs do look fantastic, but only if they are done right and they need to be at the back of the unit not bottom. :)

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Top Review, nice work guys :D

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Great review and very interesting results, suprised by the seasonic and tagan results, good stuff bindi.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice one guys.

However, I think the most important market for PSU's now has to be the 500W-650W.

Also, why do you want 750W's when its not certified for G80 or R600 SLi? Surely a 650W Enermax Infiniti or a 620W Corsair would be a better allround buy.

Also, much like in Custom PC's PSU review, 5V always seems to be a big issue.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

We've just done completed testing for another group test too... that one will be 1000W (as we'd got quite a few that had come in) and then after that I want to do a 500-650W group test. :thumb:

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yes please Tim!

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

2 more groups, w000t bring it on :naughty:

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

they're going to be fairly regular now... hopefully at least one every quarter

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Errrm one thing that struck me about the review. Referring to the Etasis unit...

So you wouldn't recommend it, and consider it potentially dangerous...so how did it still deserve an overall rating of 7/10? :confused:

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I just bought a Corsair HX620 psu. Gets top ratings from a lot of "well known" review sites and also got a hot hardware rating from my fav site bit-tech :D

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

At 100% load only. Most people won't run it at 100% load and I can't knock it since it still worked after an hour at full load and temperature and provides an almost all green graph.

It would have got a lot higher results if it wasn't so hot running. Yes I don't recommend it, it hasn't got an award and its only good in some areas but not others.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Funny, quite a few places love the Etasis PSU's.

Anywho. £100 still seems expenise for a PSU, let alone £130.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Also, where are the PCP&C 750 Silencers?

They are supposed to be one of the best PSU's money can buy, but very expensive in the UK..

Yet again, fabulous reviews :clap: :thumb:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's because they don't load them 100%, they just throw a test system at them. Also, it's not universally hot, just hotspots at the opposite end to the fan. We used an remote IR sensor to detect the internal temps.

It's just a group test not a round up, it's not definitive.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ok. cool.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

That was brilliant. The Enermax suprised me quite a bit (I'm quite sad that the Seasonic didn't perform as well as the Tagan or Enermax).

19. LukR

LukR What's a Dremel?

70°C is not realy high. Most modern power semiconductors are spec'ed @125°C, or even higher temperatures. They simply work perfectly at 100°C+ temperatures.
    The only problem could be are the electrolytic capacitators, but the better ones can work for thousand of hours @105°C temperature. And much longer at lower temperatures like 70-80°C.
    Just don't touch it :)

as a sidenote: I don't know which IR temperature meter you used in the test, but especially cheaper IR sensors "measure" totally wrong on shiny surfaces.

20. trig

trig god's little mistake

from the whole review of the etasis i understood it to be the worst, with high temps at even 50% load. seems like temps and efficiency would count more than a little extra noise and a 5v that most psu's have probs with because honestly, how often does that get hit for 100%? thought based on what i saw, the etasis should have been rated a 5, maybe 6...the hiper as a 6, and the seasonic as a 7. that can be a problem though i guess with numerical (1-10) ratings like this...its subjective to...changing importance on certain aspects of the component being rated. but like you said, its a roundup and not a diffinitive "pick this one"...can't wait for the 500-650 roundup.

Last edited: 10 May 2007
Tags: Add Tags