1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs A Week With Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 28 Apr 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Not really, its the fact that it pushes you into creating an account before you even hit the "desktop" or whatever they call metro. Local accounts should be standard followed by the choice of linked it to a live account.

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Pushes you into creating a user account ? You mean like previous versions of windows where you have to put a username...just because its called a " local account " doesn't mean its any different from previous versions of windows.

The Live account is just an extra, don't like it then don't use it, just use a local account like we have done for years.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Confused by this. What does clicking on icons pinned to the taskbar have to do with Search?

Options available to you -

Pin programs to Start Screen
    Pin programs to taskbar, you can still do this
    Click on icon when you start to search for something as the results appear

4. will_123

No it pushed you towards creating a live account if you don't have one. Local account creation is second to that. Its nothing like they have done for years.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I wasn't forced to do anything, its not rocket science. I think the article is retarded, its an opinion of mine, opinions are like arseholes...everybody has one.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I don't think it really "pushed you" to create one, but it does encourage you to. The local account option is still there. I started off with a local account and then changed to a live account.

7. will_123

No maybe pushed is a strong word for it. But yes it encourages it, and to say its the same they have done for years is nonsense.

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I said creating a local account is the same we have done for years.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Once again, I find myself reading an article from a professional tech journalist. And once again, I find myself a bit puzzled as to why the reviewer is recommending a start button replacement almost right off the bat.

I think I'm just going to have to resign myself to never understanding what is do difficult about the new start screen. It's functionally the exact same thing. People keep complaining about having to click in the lower left corner so that they can access a program icon. So they download a third party program that allows them to click in the lower left corner so that they can click icons. The new start screen is just a graphical representation of the start menu, and in my opinion it looks cleaner and is easier to organize.

I guess at this point we could just add a link to the lengthy (and circular) discussion that has already addressed most of these points already. And for what it's worth, I use a local account as well.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So in Windows 7 you have to enter a username and passwords. In Windows 8 you have to enter a user name and passwords. Oh, the humanity!

And then it puts you though the onerous task of picking a colour. And then it has the temerity of showing some eye candy while it is busy installing. Outrageous!

And this is different from Windows 7 how?

God forbid that you'd have to reach up or bend down to hit a power button! And you know: you don't have to call it a Charms bar. If you want to regard yourself like a grown up power user who is not to be trifled with, you can call it the "Mystic Runes of Summoning bar" or something.

Sorry, but this article is indeed BS and far below the standard of Bit-Tech. I have read Windows 8 reviews by Apple users that are more balanced and informed.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013
  11. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Have a play with the restore features, it cleans out the system without deleting your files.only apps that require reinstalling. And they are listed in a html document placed on your desktop.

windows 8 is a tablet OS first, and desktop OS second, it was created to be simple to cater to the simple minded, 8.1 should fix many grievances, that desktop users have, but so does start 8. The tile apps in desktop mode is a huge importance for desktop users. I like to call them t-apps cause they are touch enabled apps, but also cause they are tile based apps.

8.1 is also supposed to bring some improved back up.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It's the same in the sense that an account must be made. That much holds true. The difference now is that 2 styles of account can be created - live or local. I don't know what the procedure is like to create a live account on login- as I had one - but it can't be too different from,

enter username
    enter password
    enter password again
    secret question

I'd imagine that MS wants the Live account to be default simply so that Average Brenda can have her emails, messaging, calendar, contacts all neatly set up.

13. will_123

Yes 2 styles are available i just felt it was another attempt to get me to sign up for a email address i didn't want or need. I don't really have any problems with the OS. It lightening to boot, i just have to deal with metro for 4 seconds when i boot and switch over to the desktop.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea I get that, lets face it if W8 gets MS more users to use their services then I'm sure they won't complain.

15. will_123

Ha they most certainly wont! I reckon that's what its their for. Tie more people in.

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you dont use metro at all then just use a start menu, it will bypass metro for you.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

More hardware reviews please lads :thumb:

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's nonsense. If you want to sync your files and settings across devices then of course you need cloud access and of course that would per default be a Microsoft service. But it does not push that onto you any more than iOS or iTunes pushes an Apple account on you.

19. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic What's a Dremel?

Articles like this frustrate me, I really don't understand the hatred of the start screen and knee jerk "ZOMG I want a start button!" reactions people have. Windows 7 - click the bottom left, then click on the program you want. Windows 8 - click the bottom left, then click on the program you want. The list of programs looks a bit different, but it's exactly the same process, only now when you're looking at your list of programs the ones that support it give you some extra info without having to fire them up.
    I do agree with the shut down procedure seeming like a bit of a faff, but it's only one more click than it was in 7... Lastly I do think 8 works much better with a mouse than a laptop trackpad. I find there's a lot of long sweeping motions to be done which are easy with a mouse but can require a few stabs at it on a laptop.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What does Microsoft account has with "signing up for a email address" ? My Microsoft account is tied to an email address on my own domain, hosted at Google as a part of the free Google Apps account. You can use any email address for Microsoft account, all MS account is your email address & password for authentication, and then server side information tied to that account so it can provide you various services (XBOX, GFWL, Windows 8 sync stuff, Windows Phone stuff etc etc).

Tags: Add Tags