1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ADATA S596 Turbo Review: JMicron 616

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

read speed was not so much the issue with the first gen JMmicron drives(and the work around 1.1 drives that still sucked) it was the Random read and very much so Write random or sequential speeds 00.01MB/s not really acceptable with access times going up to 2-3 seconds lol (under Norm use never mind when benchmarks are in use)

love anandtech to do random access tests on this to make sure its fine (you really should do them or be bit more detailed review with them as its what's makes or brakes an SSD) your avg access time on Write 900ms to 1 second (and thats even avg as well) is not very good thought for the vertex and the S596 do about the same

also was the SSDs done in AHCI or norm mode, as the latter lacks NCQ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing) and that mite make some difference in speeds (more so IOP)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ACHI always.

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I hate products that use 'turbo' in their name when they clearly do not have a turbo, turbine or anything even vaguely related.

5. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

TBH released WAY to late as in easily two months intel are going to release 25nm flash based SSDs (sandforce based SSDs may have 25nm flash coming up) which will make these look like these in equal value to dog crap basically.

6. Invectus

Invectus What's a Dremel?

haha yes the old Turbo trick...

remember the old turbo buttons at old PC's? lol

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

lol well turbo is usually associated with fast. you can also think "ultimate" as the same way. ultimate doesn't mean the best or fastest, it means the last or the maximum of something. its just a cool sounding word and typically, newer means better (but not always).

@invectus
    I remember the turbo buttons, it seemed pretty pointless to have turbo mode turned off.

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I'm going to be picky here, but why have you compared four 128GB SSD's with a 64GB one in your comparison charts?

If the size of the drive has a direct effect on its performance, (as in most cases it does) why pick an odd sized one to compare it with? Or at least throw in a few more 64GB's for more balance...

9. ashmud

ashmud What's a Dremel?

You would turn them off for old programs (old for then, too) that were programmed to run on machines with a slower clock frequency. These were mostly games, but occasionally other programs could have trouble running on faster machines.

10. zebby2k

zebby2k What's a Dremel?

Any Chance you can review one of these?
    Super Talent TeraDrive CT

Seems equivalent to the vertex 2e, but just wondered how it performed.
    They are fairly cheap in Europe.

Cheers,

Zeb

Tags: Add Tags