1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Admin options for Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeTitan, 25 Oct 2003.

1. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I was wondering, What kind of option there are for windows XP. Cause I want to have an account where basically all that people can do is surf the internet. I don't want them to have access to any other programs except My crazybrowser. Is is possible to do this? :confused:

2. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

suppose you could just delete all the programs from the start menu, delete all short cuts on the desktop. and Deny access to read the c: and prevent the user from viewing anything u dont really want he or she to look at... but it would requite a tweaking program.......
    yeh its possible but would take a while

RM :p

3. Auli

Auli What's a Dremel?

The short answer is you can do anything you want with XP. Denying read access to your C: drive would be pretty silly though. You couldn't even start the browser! :eeek: We won't go into reading the cache etc. I think randomonkey meant deny write access to C: but then you would just fail to write to the cache unless you reduced cache size to 0.

It is way too involved to go into detail here. Perhaps a google on 'windows xp kiosk mode' will yield some useful results.

Mind that you will probably need a third party blocker to prevent 'unwanted' surfing if its a public type thing.

My mother wanted to set up a PC in a corner for her hotel guests to grab webmail etc when I pointed out to her just exactly what might be displayed on the screen in her hotel's lobby. She was like :duh:

As with all things security-wise, be careful. Its easy to secure it beyond all functionality, even easier to leave holes you can drive a truck through. I once used a 'secure' kiosk that would not allow you to open a Word document from a floppy (sensibly to avoid Word macro viruses,). It was a jobs search place that wanted to allow you to type in a resume, but I had one all nice and done on a floppy. The clever little buggers had figured all the permission assignments to disable the 'A:' drive in Word.

Of course exploring 'My computer' and double-clicking the document on the A: drive launched the document into Word quite easily. :D It didn't have a virus, I just wanted the use of their laser printer after all.

Auli

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

why dont u use something like windows 2k pro.... that allows you to block the view of the c:.
    I did that on my brothers computer to stop him screwing it up... but u can easily create a shortcut and goto something like c:\windows\
    but if u were able to prevent a right click then that would prob be ur best bet i would say!

Rm :p

Tags: