1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Aliens vs Predator Demo on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 4 Feb 2010.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Ok, so finding games is totally broken - good job there.

Once into a game though it was really quite good fun. The alien is uber fast and great fun, the pred is slow but powerful (perhaps a little too much) and the marine is weak but hella powerful over range. Good fun when I played last night - plenty of bugs to work out though and i can;t help think that the demo will turn off players rather than encourage them to buy.

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

as aliens, when u hit space when ur cursor have 3 spikes, ull stick to that side of the wall. when u hold Q and u run towards a wall (at any angle), ull climb that wall. or use mouse3 button.

abit of learning curve for aliens movement, but afte a couple rounds as aliens..... its simple: xenos are deadliest class. speed to go pretty much anywhere + grabbing someone from the back is insta kill = god mode.

i actually find predators one of the hardest to play now...... the spear and blades are useless that longer range since they go on a straight line, and pretty much nobody standing still... close range is good with aliens, but if a marine can spray on u, ur toast.

of course, pred still has the proximity mine :)

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah the demo is a bit ****, when I first played it I thought it was crap, but the more I played it the more I liked it.

First few games went badly, but I started playing with a group of mates and we were all marines and worked together, was amazing fun, hearing people shouting "Oh god there's one behind you! Look out! Noooooo!" down the headsets.

Then we played some hotseat when people came round as the alien and started to get the controls and tactics down, some of the kills are awesome.

It went from an ok game that I would wait to become cheaper into one I have to buy.

4. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Well finally got round to playing and quite enjoying it.
    Getting used to the controls was my first issue so this may help;

All races
    Objectives: TAB
    Chat to All: Y
    Chat to Team: U
    Voice chat: V
    Jump: SPACE BAR
    Interact: E
    Forwards: W
    Backwards: S
    Strafe Left: A
    Strafe Right: D
    Sprint: Q
    Walk: LEFT CTRL

Marine
    Primary Fire: MOUSE 1
    Secondary Fire: MOUSE 2
    Flare: F
    Flashlight: T
    Health Stim: H
    Melee: MOUSE 3
    Reload: R
    Select Pistol: 1
    Select Weapon 2: 2
    Select Weapon 3: 3

Alien
    Light Attack: MOUSE 1
    Heavy Attack: MOUSE 2
    Focus: LEFT SHIFT
    Surface Transition: MOUSE 3
    Hiss: R
    Block: MOUSE 1 + Mouse 2

Predator
    Light Attack: MOUSE 1
    Heavy Attack: MOUSE 2
    Secondary Weapon: MOUSE 3
    Focus Mode: LEFT SHIFT
    Zoom: Z
    Zoom in: MOUSE WHEEL UP
    Zoom out: MOUSE WHEEL DOWN
    Cloak: R
    Distract: E
    Vision Mode: F
    Health Stim: H
    Block: MOUSE 1 + MOUSE 2
    Select Plasma Caster: 1
    Select Mines: 2
    Select Disc: 3
    Select Combistick: 4

Taken from someone's useful post on the Valve forum LINKY

5. jason27131

jason27131 Lolzers

This game is really dissapointing. Not as fun as it used to be back in AvP 2.

6. jason27131

jason27131 Lolzers

Eh. Its an ok game. Nothing special.

7. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

The marine class is utter crap in deathmatch. In the rounds that I've played as marine, alien, and predator the marine has always been one of the lowest scorers. Most of the kills marines get that I've seen is when others are focused on killing each other and he gets a lucky shot and kills one or both. The marine is simply no match for an average predator or alien in a one on one battle.

Now if it was team deathmatch with marines working together maybe it will be better.

The predator's close range blade is way overpowered, it still works 15-20 ft away.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I rape as marine, dunno what you're talkin about, consistent top 3 scores.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

marine kicks serious ass. all the game i played its been pretty random which class dominates the round. if ppl just aim before they spray, there's nothing that can stop it. aimed to the head, i can take down full health predator in less than a second. i tested it with a buddy going afk lol....

but whats with this pred close range blade fiasco? evrybody sayin it works 10+ feet away... what is it? the main left-click blade? main attacks is pretty close range when i played, except when its laggy...

10. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i have fallen in love with this game.

the races are very nicely balanced and dominance depends on how skilled and alert the player is. i am kinda divided between the alien and marine race but i would say marines are my favourite by a fraction.

also, when playing as aliens, does anybody tend to feel dizzy when walking on surfaces? i turn on the auto-wallwalk thingy to make it easier. i usually run on the ceilings to make it harder to spot me but this makes me feel sick after about 2 hours of play :(

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Have been playing a lot of the demo, both on consoles and on the PC.

Don't seem to be having any of the issues with the game that other people have mentioned (apart from the long server find times).

I personally don't play as the marine but i've come across some people who've either topped the leaderboards or have been in the top 3. You're definitely going to suck as a marine if you play the game like a normal FPS deathmatch like Quake/UT etc. and just run around blindly looking for things to shoot. You need to take your time and make sure you use your motion tracker. Also you have the advantage against the other two races since you have long range firepower to start off with. Sure it's not all that powerful, but it'll still tear through an Alien or Pred that's been knocked to the ground. I've also seen the Marine player that just "happens" to show up during a conflict between an Alien or Pred. in close combat and just mow both down whilst they're pre-occupied.

As for the Alien, they're easily my favourite race. They have the speed to escape from any dangerous encounter and easily return later to seek revenge. As for the OP who commented on the lack of a pounce attack, it's actually executed by doing "Focus+Attack".

Played for a few rounds as the Pred. as well and it's not quite my thing having to go hunt for equipment scattered about the place... although even without it you can still hold your own, especially against Marines since you have a cloak, sort of like a slower Alien.

Currently i think the melee combat still needs a bit of refining, the Focus/Lock On isn't completely accurate and i've ended up pouncing on the enemy whose been on the far side of another engagement leaving me caught in the middle and subsequently ripped to shreds. Also i've started to rely less on Stealth/Grab kills since you're still completely vulnerable during the 3-5 seconds of the animation, a Pounce or Heavy attack followed by a swipe or two usually does the same job in the same amount of time but keeps you roughly moving. It's also funny to see the "grab chains" whereby you just get people grabbing each other from behind. At first i thought the grab was rather otherpowered, it has a pretty long range from behind and you can grab in combat for an instant kill, although i found out you can actually counter/block the grab from the front but i'm not sure how as of yet, and as for a grab from behind... it'll teach you for letting someone sneak up on you :p.

I'd really suggest watching the new AvP Combat Feature which does a brief walkthrough of combat techniques like the pounce attack and more importantly the counter system. I'd say that this is probably the thing that needs tweaking most so far, a counter now pretty much gurantees a kill since you knock your opponent down... it then takes a heavy attack whilst on the floor followed by a light attack to finish off the opponent who's still recovering. I understand that they have to add some depth to the combat, but now it's made me exclusively just block and use heavy attacks when i'm faced against a single opponent.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I've only played 2 or 3 hours so far with a mate but actually found it to be pretty respectable for a demo. The matchmaking I dislike on principle but other than that it seemed to work OK. Formed a friends group, searched for a match and dropped straight in with minimal delays.

I haven't played as pred yet but can confirm that both the alien and the marine are fun. OK, so I'd like to be able to choose a loadout with the marine and stick with it but generally I prefer the pulse rifle anyway - at least when I can find some grenades that is.

I was missing the pounce on the alien but I'll have another go using the focus and see what happens. The grabs are pretty potent as others have said but you seriously don't last long if you're spotted and a marine gets a bead on you. Preds seem a touch too brutal in close combat as well though. One hit = dead alien unless you get a grab attack in.

After the first game we agreed TDM with the guys on the server, limited the preds to 2 only and then had massive amounts of fun. Some of the graphical effects are nice as well. Seeing the guy stood next to you suddenly getting nailed to the wall with a javelin through his chest definitely gets your attention!

BTW: Block is left + right mouse by default and can work in about a 135 degree arc (or at least seemed to) but you have to be pretty quick.

13. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

I must say first time I loaded up it was hard and I didnt like it,

But as soon as the second time when I checked the controls it all became a lot more immersive,

Didnt have any problems creating a game, had a lan in my flat at the weekend and got all 8 of my mates in the game without any problems and we made it team deathmatch as we were all there and could make alliances and this was really fun.

When the actual game comes out with more/better online modes I think people will love this game. I for one am really looking forward to its release.

ps. THERE COMING OUT OF THE GOD DAMN WALLS

14. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

if anyones online now im trying to connect

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Played quite a few more rounds as the marine... i usually do quite well in the top half of the leaderboard but it definitely makes you feel like you work for each kill.

I love countering the Aliens to get them on the ground before riddling them with bullets, however it ended up with all the aliens just heavy attacking me from the off instead... In that sense i think there needs to be more interrupt with the heavy attacks. Supposedly light attacks are good counters but i find the heavy attacks just have the range to keep out of an interrupt. Also the marine's melee itself is a bit pathetic, was expecting at least some stun on a normal melee but it just seems to do nothing. At least make the guns interrupt a melee animation...

16. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Just tried the demo, didn't have any problem getting into a game.

Manage to get some kills in each species, spent most of the time getting disorientated playing the alien.

The demo is quite fun.

17. R€D

R€D Via con dios......

I think the demo is very good ... bring on the game...