1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD, Intel report second quarter earnings

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So the $30million writeoff is why the 939 prices plummeted to £15 new for a single core.

3. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

how can they keep going if there losing this much money and the fact intel is going to destroy them on the 22nd July really with the price reductions and a quad for 160. Plus the fact there new processors wont be out for another few months aint looking bright for them even though i like them

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Don't be so quick to judge that AMD's going down - large firms have masses of equity to chew through if they're in big trouble - don't forget they could sell ATi if it really came to it, netting a comfortable few billion dollars.
    The performance of their next chip, and its successes as far as marketing and pricing goes, is vital for them, if they get it wrong they could be in real trouble, get it right and they could be in for another Athlon XP/A64 roll, ditching Intel and leaving them behind.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Now now, let's not be doomsayers just yet. AMD is well known for having a trick or two up its sleeve. I would not be at all surprised to find Phenom to be a great chip. Also, unlike Intel, many people use Opterons in daily use, so Barcelona isn't really 'months away'. Something about AMD's server designs make for an all-around great chip, and I would bet quite a few of our own enthusiasts have their eyes on 'em.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets see if they don't pull another X2900, cpu style.

7. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

i agree i hope they stay i do prefer them but 400 million a qaurter is a alot for anyone plus witht the quad core going for so low im going to buy it and if amd can do what they did before im going for them again

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm sure a large part of AMD's loss is due to integration issues with ATi - even now, there'll still be redundancy costs, fixed asset write-offs and the like. If AMD are still making a loss in a year, then I'd start to worry.

btw fwalm: we like to use punctuation here. It makes your posts easier to read :p

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

AMD is going to come back. It's as simple as that. They took four years from the launch of the Athlon to the Athlon 64, which proceeded to pound the Pentium 4s into the dust. It's been another four years, and in that time all they've released to the public is a simple DDR2 memory controller upgrade to the A64. They've been cooking Barcelona/Phenom for a long time, and if past performance is anything to judge by (The original Athlon took Pentium 3s to the cleaner's, A64 pounded P4s), Barcelona and Phenom are going to clean house. Again.

At least, they'd better. The only reason I went AM2 with my new system is the drop-in upgrade to a AM2+ Phenom.

Tags: Add Tags