1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Launches Radeon Software Crimson Driver

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Nov 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Been looking forward to this. AMD's recent drivers have been great. Doing a before and after Firestrike will report back with my findings.

3. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Can't wait to get home and get my card ripping it up! Hopefully not itself, mind you!

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Who does all of this artwork for graphics card manufacturers?

There's some really nice stuff being done. I know some of it's from games, but some of the characters that have appeared on various red and green boxes over the years have been original.

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Two issues for me so far. No dynamic range option for video so it appears all washed out looking. Overclocking setting don't stick after a reboot.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It's a significant sign of the times and of AMD's standing when people get excited about a new driver/software package.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Think it's time for me to go back to team red. Fury time

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

8. rollo

rollo Modder

It's about time AMD sorted out there drivers this is the first step. Instead of a bunch of beta drivers we will get some signed for drivers that can easy install. Good on AMD.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Absolutely wrecked FO4 for me. I had to reinstall the older drivers and forgot to remove Crimson so now I have both control centers.

10. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

I've never understood the abuse that AMD gets about their drivers. If you look at the most recent problem posts in the Hardware section the majority are NVidia cards. Whether this is just due to NVidia's market share is debatable. I'm happy to see they are improving the rather pants interface that came with the CCC.
    The only time I've ever had a driver problem (with any manufacturer) was when I accidentally installed Voodoo Banshee 2 drivers with my Voodoo Banshee 1 and broke it :(.

11. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

The only time i've had issue with them was with my old 4870. For some reason the driver had the strangest default settings. As example it would automatically downscale 1080p on a 1080p monitor. resulting in black borders around the image on screen. Never got why that was considered a good default.

Other than that I've never had issues with the drivers up until now, doesn't mean they don't exist though. Turns out my issue was more complex than settings not saving so I just went back to the old driver until it is fixed or I buy a new card.

I think people get that from Googling about ATI/AMD cards and get ancient results then assume it must still be true 15 years later. Not helping that people parrot this information with no evidence to back it up. I can tell you this though, my problem with AMD cards sure as hell wasn't the driver.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ultimately what we end up hearing is a mixture of personal experience and parroting of what other people have been saying albeit without any clear evidence.

Whether it is true or not it does cause a brand image problem which AMD need to overcome. Assuming the claims held up in the summary by Bit are true then these drivers look to be a step in the right direction.

Personally the only major issues I have had from either team is Eyefinity (specifically profiles) related.

I am actually tempted to pick up a Fury Nano / Fury X as something to play with.

13. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Well I tried them, and I can't comment on the drivers because once installed I looked at the new control panel, and did not like it, but I figured it's the old 'time to adjust' thing so OK, but then when I tried to change a setting it froze up on me, and the only way to get it off my screen was to use taskmanager to kill the process...
    So I removed it again and went back to the old driver.
    Later on I read that the control panel is missing all kinds of video settings too, so it seems very beta.

And this was the fixed version btw after their overheating bug was discovered in the initial release of the crimson drivers.

Anyway, I guess I could try to install just the driver and keep the old control panel, I hear that works, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort really. Plus with the old panel; you can't access new functions of course.
    It's funny, the new panel hides old functionality, the old panel hides new stuff. You can't win. Unless like the guy in the comments said you accidentally install both control panels, although that probably is a drain on resources.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

There duel gpu cards in the past are my issues with AMD. I have not owned a AMD card since the 5990 and will not buy again because of my issues with them.

It's nice to see them taking a active approach to fixing issues instead of ignoring them. All gpus have driver issues that's a given.

My personal experience of AMDs service has prevented me paying high amounts for another of there cards. Fury X sounds awesome value for money but I'd not buy one.

Nvidia have never given me the same concerns, despite some rather shady marketing with the Nvidia 970 gpu.

Tags: Add Tags