1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD releases Catalyst 9.4 driver

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

Nice. I hope the new one fixes the 4870x2 / Vista64 Error43 problem i have.

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Umm, I think you guys forgot about how all Pre-R600 chip support has been dropped and moved to legacy.

4. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

Time do see if i can get a decent overclock outta my HD4850 then :p

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

pre R600 chips are no longer supported? The R600 is the 2000 series right? So anything older that that no longer has support. Why is that a concern? I would rather see them spend money on new tech than old tech.

Personally I cant wait to go home and try this out on my 4850.

6. LockBreaker

LockBreaker What's a Dremel?

Any difference fromt this compared to the Beta of the 9.4?

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

yes but for some of us running linux on the older hardware(i.e my Xpress 200M in my laptop) it is a PITA for them to discontinue the support.

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

does this new autotune take notice of the gpu temps? or does the user need to watch that one?

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't think that they would remove that feature, I'm sure it's there.

10. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I don't see how this is a problem or even a PITA.
    They are no longer making any changes for older hardware and the hardware/drivers are as optimised as they are ever going to get in 9.3. There would be no difference between 9.3 and 11.2 (for e.g.) if you have a X800. If you need to do a reinstall, then you just download 9.3 or the associated driver.
    You don't expect them to support these cards forever, do you?

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

And ATI released lots of info about their gpu's and chips to the Linux Community, so that they can develop good drivers and try to optimize more the chips for Linux. I think there is a site of Linux (Phoronix) I think, that has that info.

And the X1950XTX for example is from... what? End 2005? Beggining of 2006? That's old...

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

This is all well and good, but is the frickin' 2D/3D bug fixed yet? I havent updated since the ones I am on now (can't remember what they are, and havent been on my usual PC for weeks) because they are the latest ones that don't have the issue.

They might be 9.1 thinking about it.

13. lankyn

lankyn What's a Dremel?

"They are no longer making any changes for older hardware and the hardware/drivers are as optimised as they are ever going to get in 9.3"
    Optimised for current games, but what about anything new?? This is a shitty departure - nvidia's newest drivers still support the 2004 NV40, and ATi are cutting the X1900? MS still support XP, so whats up with AMD trying to force me to buy its new cards for a few fps. This is not a good sign for the future......

14. tictactoe

tictactoe What's a Dremel?

Tho' I'm fairly happy with my 1950 Pro on MCE, the lack of functionality and driver support in Windows 7 is going to force me to upgrade to some newer hardware soon :-( .
    Mind you, running win 7 on a 3450 with a 17" TFT monitor, with the 9.3 driver is a nightmare using DVI input, had to switch to VGA to get useability!! Long way to go yet!!

15. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

ive tried the new 9.4 auto tune and it seems the same as all the earlier versions, didnt see any new full screen display as stated

Last edited: 13 Apr 2009
  16. Xir

Xir Modder

Before downloading you go through a dialogue asking you what card you own....but then it recommends the latest driver (in this case 9.3) for an x1800xt.

Even though (as stated above) developpment for older hardware is diskontinued....it's just frozen to 9.3

Tags: Add Tags